Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
"max bianco"

Default OT: web page design tools

I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics, which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what* software to use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know).* All opinions, decrees and etc welcome!

Thanks,

Max

Old 03-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Donald Reader

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 10:17 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:04:57 -0400
> max bianco <maximilianbianco@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics,
> > which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what software to
> > use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't
> > have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know). All opinions, decrees
> > and etc welcome!
>
> http://www.kompozer.net/

I user Quanta which is in the kdewebdev package.
Hope that helps

Donald Reader

Old 03-20-2008, 11:50 PM
max

Donald Reader wrote:

I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics,
which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what software to
use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't
have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know). All opinions, decrees
and etc welcome!

http://www.kompozer.net/

I user Quanta which is in the kdewebdev package.
Hope that helps

Donald Reader

Thanks for the responses!! I don't use KDE right now but Kompozer
looks like it will do nicely....for now!!

Thanks again,

Max

Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM
"Mike Burger"

> I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics,
> which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what software to
> use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't
> have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know). All opinions,
> decrees
> and etc welcome!

While I'm not sure if it's open source, it is free...NVU.

http://www.nvu.com

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 PM
max

Mike Burger wrote:

I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics,
which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what software to
use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't
have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know). All opinions,
decrees
and etc welcome!

While I'm not sure if it's open source, it is free...NVU.

http://www.nvu.com

Looks like this and Kompozer are related.

Thanks,

max

Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Frank Cox

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 11:52:16 -0400
max <maximilianbianco@gmail.com> wrote:

> > http://www.nvu.com
> >
> Looks like this and Kompozer are related.

As I recall, nvu was more-or-less abandoned so Kompozer forked it and carried
on from there.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Nicholas Robinson

On Saturday 22 March 2008 15:52:16 max wrote:
> Mike Burger wrote:
> >> I have the opportunity to dive into web page design. I know the basics,
> >> which is to say not much. Just looking for opinions on what software to
> >> use. I would prefer an open source program but i am flexible. It doesn't
> >> have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i know). All opinions,
> >> decrees
> >> and etc welcome!
> >
> > While I'm not sure if it's open source, it is free...NVU.
> >
> > http://www.nvu.com
>
> Looks like this and Kompozer are related.
>
> Thanks,
>
> max

Quanta which comes as part of KDE web development suite is pretty good for
basic stuff.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Mike Burger <mburger@bubbanfriends.org> wrote:

> > I have the opportunity to dive into web page
> design. I know the basics,
> > which is to say not much. Just looking for
> opinions on what software to
> > use. I would prefer an open source program but i
> am flexible. It doesn't
> > have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i
> know). All opinions,
> > decrees
> > and etc welcome!
>
> While I'm not sure if it's open source, it is
> free...NVU.
>
> http://www.nvu.com
>
> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org
>
> Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
> telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or
> http://dogpound2.citadel.org
>
> To be notified of updates to the web site, visit:

> or send a blank email message to:
>
> site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org
>
> --

Visiting a relative's webpage, led me to find out
about Joomla

http://www.joomla.org/

http://www.joomla.org/content/view/12/26/

I wanted to recommend it to my school who was paying
to host content, but they did not ask, and I did not
tell.

Regards,

Antonio

Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 09:29 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- Mike Burger <mburger@bubbanfriends.org> wrote:
>

> > > I have the opportunity to dive into web page
> > design. I know the basics,
> > > which is to say not much. Just looking for
> > opinions on what software to
> > > use. I would prefer an open source program but i
> > am flexible. It doesn't
> > > have to be fancy, just intuitive(subjective i
> > know). All opinions,
> > > decrees
> > > and etc welcome!
> >
> > While I'm not sure if it's open source, it is
> > free...NVU.
> >
> > http://www.nvu.com
> >
> > --
> > Mike Burger
> > http://www.bubbanfriends.org
> >
> > Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
> > telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or
> > http://dogpound2.citadel.org
> >
> > To be notified of updates to the web site, visit:

> > or send a blank email message to:
> >
> > site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org
> >
> > --
>
> Visiting a relative's webpage, led me to find out
> about Joomla
>
> http://www.joomla.org/
>
> http://www.joomla.org/content/view/12/26/
>
> I wanted to recommend it to my school who was paying
> to host content, but they did not ask, and I did not
> tell.

Joomla is a Content Management System, not a web design tool. Then
again, maybe that's what the OP wanted.

Bluefish (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/) is an alternative web design
tool. Also Quanta as others have mentioned.

poc

Old 03-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Antonio Olivares

--- Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 09:29 -0700, Antonio Olivares
> wrote:

> > > design. I know the basics,
> > > opinions on what software to
> > > am flexible. It doesn't
> > > know). All opinions,
> > >
> > > While I'm not sure if it's open source, it is
> > > free...NVU.
> > >
> > > http://www.nvu.com
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mike Burger
> > > http://www.bubbanfriends.org
> > >
> > > Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
> > > telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or
> > > http://dogpound2.citadel.org
> > >
> > > To be notified of updates to the web site,
> visit:

> > > or send a blank email message to:
> > >
> > > site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Visiting a relative's webpage, led me to find out
> > about Joomla
> >
> > http://www.joomla.org/
> >
> > http://www.joomla.org/content/view/12/26/
> >
> > I wanted to recommend it to my school who was
> paying
> > to host content, but they did not ask, and I did
> not
> > tell.
>
> Joomla is a Content Management System, not a web
> design tool. Then
> again, maybe that's what the OP wanted.
>
> Bluefish (http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/) is an
> alternative web design
> tool. Also Quanta as others have mentioned.
>
> poc
>
> --

True, sorry for the mixup. I thought it had an html
editor integrated, but then again, I do not know for
sure. Yes Quanta, BlueFish, OpenOffice.org as well
have html editors.

Regards,

Antonio

A programmer's wife was asked:
- How did he get you interested in him?
The wife:
- He kept boasting about his hard drive.