Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Paolo Galtieri

Default More printer strangeness

Folks,
* I'm seeing more printer strangeness.* I ran s-c-p and 3 printers show which I did not explicitly add.* All three have a Device URI of file:///dev/null.

If I delete them they go away momentarily and then all re-appear again.* There is no way to actually print to them so why are they present?

Paolo

Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Tim Waugh

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 18:47 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> Folks,
> I'm seeing more printer strangeness. I ran s-c-p and 3 printers
> show which I did not explicitly add. All three have a Device URI of
> file:///dev/null.
>
> If I delete them they go away momentarily and then all re-appear
> again. There is no way to actually print to them so why are they
> present?

Sounds like there might be a CUPS system on the network which is
advertising bad queues, or else the printer cache is upset.

Try:

cupsctl --no-remote-printers
service cups stop
rm -f /var/cache/cups/printers.cache
service cups start

Wait for a minute or two. Do the queues show now?

How about after 'cupsctl --remote-printers'?

Tim.
*/