-   -   Reading an OpenServer hard drive with Fedora (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/590488-reading-openserver-hard-drive-fedora.html)

Bill Davidsen 10-24-2011 01:12 AM

Reading an OpenServer hard drive with Fedora

Is there a way to get at the odd SysV volume manager slices if I have access to
an OS drive? The disk or partition is split into slices, sort of like a crude
LVM. I need to recover the files from the disk, based on a full raw backup of
the drive or the drive itself.

I was hoping for a fuser implementation or so, since the extra cost networking
stuff wasn't bought when the system was built. A local business depends on this,
and I'm trying to help them recover.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

fred smith 10-24-2011 02:48 AM

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 09:12:05PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Is there a way to get at the odd SysV volume manager slices if I have access to
> an OS drive? The disk or partition is split into slices, sort of like a crude
> LVM. I need to recover the files from the disk, based on a full raw backup of
> the drive or the drive itself.
>
> I was hoping for a fuser implementation or so, since the extra cost networking
> stuff wasn't bought when the system was built. A local business depends on this,
> and I'm trying to help them recover.

Bill:

I'm having a somewhat vague recollection that much much older versions
of Linux (from circa '95 when I was using Slackware 2.1 with the very up
to date 1.5.9 kernel) had some flavor of support for SCO partitions. I
have some memory of having read some docs or notes online somewhere
about it. I don't think I've ever tried mounting a HD partition from
one of them on linux, though.

If it would be any help, I probably still have the CD with that ancient
Slackware, and also a (now) really ancient Red Hat 4.1 CD. ISO images
could be created in need.

Fred

The Lord is like a strong tower.

Kernel Guardian 10-24-2011 01:54 PM

Reading an OpenServer hard drive with Fedora

SCO OpenServer version?
If i remember well, i was read and successfully recovering data from
OpenServer 3 and 5.0.4 disks with SuSe 8 or 9 ( have on some CD's in
the basement).[my first Open Server 3 installation media was have 78
floppies.]
Reading disk content would depend on file system in use on those disks.
Any Linux with 2.4 kernel can read SCO disk, maybe on some must
recompile kernel to include support for different type of disk
partitioning schemes and file systems.
I forgot a lot of things, last time when administering SCO's is almost
12 years ago.

SCO Unixware is different story.

Anyhow, SCO use regular partitions, and slices are under them.

Bill Davidsen 11-10-2011 10:35 PM

Kernel Guardian wrote:
> SCO OpenServer version?
> If i remember well, i was read and successfully recovering data from
> OpenServer 3 and 5.0.4 disks with SuSe 8 or 9 ( have on some CD's in
> the basement).[my first Open Server 3 installation media was have 78
> floppies.]
> Reading disk content would depend on file system in use on those disks.
> Any Linux with 2.4 kernel can read SCO disk, maybe on some must
> recompile kernel to include support for different type of disk
> partitioning schemes and file systems.
> I forgot a lot of things, last time when administering SCO's is almost
> 12 years ago.
>
> SCO Unixware is different story.
>
> Anyhow, SCO use regular partitions, and slices are under them.

Yes, that's the issue, I can see the partition table fine, but to mount the
slices (made with "divvy" IIRC) is the issue. Given that I could do that the
whole problem is solvable, if ugly.

I don't really see what would let me get at the slice level.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

fred smith 11-10-2011 11:39 PM

Reading an OpenServer hard drive with Fedora

> Kernel Guardian wrote:
> > SCO OpenServer version?
> > If i remember well, i was read and successfully recovering data from
> > OpenServer 3 and 5.0.4 disks with SuSe 8 or 9 ( have on some CD's in
> > the basement).[my first Open Server 3 installation media was have 78
> > floppies.]
> > Reading disk content would depend on file system in use on those disks.
> > Any Linux with 2.4 kernel can read SCO disk, maybe on some must
> > recompile kernel to include support for different type of disk
> > partitioning schemes and file systems.
> > I forgot a lot of things, last time when administering SCO's is almost
> > 12 years ago.
> >
> > SCO Unixware is different story.
> >
> > Anyhow, SCO use regular partitions, and slices are under them.
> >
> Yes, that's the issue, I can see the partition table fine, but to mount the
> slices (made with "divvy" IIRC) is the issue. Given that I could do that the
> whole problem is solvable, if ugly.
>
> I don't really see what would let me get at the slice level.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
> "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked." - from Slashdot

Bill, I asked a co-worker who used to work for SCO if he had any suggestions,
and he came up with this URL:

http://scofaq.aplawrence.com/FAQ_scotec1linuxfs.html

which has some suggestions but not full solutions. You may find it
helpful, or at least one hopes.

While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.