Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Neil Cherry

Default Question on upgrading from FC6

I have a server that's running FC6 and I'd like to run the latest
and greatest. I have quite a complex system as it's my home's
central server (home automation, DNS, printing, etc.). I'm under
the assumption that I'll need to upgrade it to Fedora 7 (I have
the iso) and then Fedora 8 (I have the iso). Are there any
warnings, other than backing up everything?

In case you're wondering I'm preparing the system for IPV6 as I
need to learn IPV6 for work and having it is the best way to
learn it.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Old 03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
"Antonio M"

2008/3/19, Neil Cherry <ncherry@linuxha.com>:
> I have a server that's running FC6 and I'd like to run the latest
> and greatest. I have quite a complex system as it's my home's
> central server (home automation, DNS, printing, etc.). I'm under
> the assumption that I'll need to upgrade it to Fedora 7 (I have
> the iso) and then Fedora 8 (I have the iso). Are there any
> warnings, other than backing up everything?
>
> In case you're wondering I'm preparing the system for IPV6 as I
> need to learn IPV6 for work and having it is the best way to
> learn it.
>
> --
> Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry ncherry@linuxha.com
> http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
> http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
> Author of: Linux Smart Homes For Dummies

I am not sure that the original DVD of F8 will allow upgrade of an
existing system (Please check if there is a bug), I remember that
system froze during upgrading and I installed F8 from scratch.

Please check....

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Neil Cherry

Antonio M wrote:

2008/3/19, Neil Cherry <ncherry@linuxha.com>:

I have a server that's running FC6 and I'd like to run the latest
and greatest. I have quite a complex system as it's my home's
central server (home automation, DNS, printing, etc.). I'm under
the assumption that I'll need to upgrade it to Fedora 7 (I have
the iso) and then Fedora 8 (I have the iso). Are there any
warnings, other than backing up everything?

In case you're wondering I'm preparing the system for IPV6 as I
need to learn IPV6 for work and having it is the best way to
learn it.

I am not sure that the original DVD of F8 will allow upgrade of an
existing system (Please check if there is a bug), I remember that
system froze during upgrading and I installed F8 from scratch.

Please check....

Thanks, that's why I posted here first. :-) I'll check that
out as it would be a real pain to have to reinstall. I have
a lot of custom things such as my MTA setup. I'm also using
djb's dns software and I'd hate to have to rebuild everything
at this moment though I may move to dnsmasq in the future.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Robin Laing

Neil Cherry wrote:

Antonio M wrote:

[...]

From the ongoing discussion about upgrades, any locally created
applications may have to be rebuilt anyways due to changes in libraries
and the base system.

I have come across different configuration files between versions and
when I moved from FC6 to F8 at work, I ended up with some weird problems
that were associated to changes in F8 that required the IT staff to
change my account around. The changes were good but just caused headaches.

I have seen some update directly from F6 to F8 but their system was
quite basic. No LVM's or partitions to worry about. All partitions
were labeled.

If you use third source repositories, you could end up with more
headaches doing an upgrade.

Backup your data and configuration files and then try. The worst is you
have to do a clean install after trying.

--
Robin Laing