Old 10-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default Run SCO OpenServer in a VM?

I have a friend who is running his business on an old OpenServer machine, and
would love to be able to just run a copy in a VM. The issue is that it talks to
the old serial terminals through a multiport card. Any hope that I could get KVM
to provide usable serial ports to the VM using a modern card? Or even not so
new, I have a case of unused "HUB6" cards and would be glad to find a home for
one, since modem pools are not a big thing anymore.

I last did SCO admin for a living in 1993, and have done little but Linux since,
so I'm not right on top of this OS any more :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 10-24-2011, 01:02 AM
Bill Davidsen

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On 10/23/2011 03:34 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have a friend who is running his business on an old OpenServer machine, and
>> would love to be able to just run a copy in a VM. The issue is that it talks to
>> the old serial terminals through a multiport card. Any hope that I could get KVM
>> to provide usable serial ports to the VM using a modern card? Or even not so
>> new, I have a case of unused "HUB6" cards and would be glad to find a home for
>> one, since modem pools are not a big thing anymore.
>>
>> I last did SCO admin for a living in 1993, and have done little but Linux since,
>> so I'm not right on top of this OS any more :-(
>>
> I have not tried it, so this is just an idea. If Linux supports the
> multi-port card, and it does support some, then map that many serial
> ports from the VM to the actual ports. You will have to check if
> your VM has enough virtual ports to make it work.
>
> Mikkel

I will look into that, hoped someone had done it, as I don't really see a way to
fake the device.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 AM
Bill Davidsen

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> On 10/23/2011 03:34 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have a friend who is running his business on an old OpenServer machine, and
>> would love to be able to just run a copy in a VM. The issue is that it talks to
>> the old serial terminals through a multiport card. Any hope that I could get KVM
>> to provide usable serial ports to the VM using a modern card? Or even not so
>> new, I have a case of unused "HUB6" cards and would be glad to find a home for
>> one, since modem pools are not a big thing anymore.
>>
>> I last did SCO admin for a living in 1993, and have done little but Linux since,
>> so I'm not right on top of this OS any more :-(
>>
> I have not tried it, so this is just an idea. If Linux supports the
> multi-port card, and it does support some, then map that many serial
> ports from the VM to the actual ports. You will have to check if
> your VM has enough virtual ports to make it work.

Progress - I have the physical disk image in a file, and I start it with
qemu-kvm and it comes up to the "boot:" prompt. At that point things I type are
echoed to the console. If I hit ENTER the next part of the boot continues, and
it gets to the prompt
"Enter control-d for normal boot or root password for maintenance"
At that point it ignores the keyboard, and if I go into QEMU and try to send the
character with that, "sendkey cntl-d" it ignores that as well. This was in a
*very* old system and I bet it's looking for an AT keyboard rather than PS/2.
Any thoughts?

I can take it to the KVM list, but there is a tendency to suggest going to the
latest version of KVM before really looking at the problem. I can't do that,
this is a production KVM host, and I can't really risk an upgrade.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Chris Tyler

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 22:51 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >
> > On 10/23/2011 03:34 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> >> I have a friend who is running his business on an old OpenServer machine, and
> >> would love to be able to just run a copy in a VM. The issue is that it talks to
> >> the old serial terminals through a multiport card. Any hope that I could get KVM
> >> to provide usable serial ports to the VM using a modern card? Or even not so
> >> new, I have a case of unused "HUB6" cards and would be glad to find a home for
> >> one, since modem pools are not a big thing anymore.
> >>
> >> I last did SCO admin for a living in 1993, and have done little but Linux since,
> >> so I'm not right on top of this OS any more :-(
> >>
> > I have not tried it, so this is just an idea. If Linux supports the
> > multi-port card, and it does support some, then map that many serial
> > ports from the VM to the actual ports. You will have to check if
> > your VM has enough virtual ports to make it work.
> >

> Progress - I have the physical disk image in a file, and I start it with
> qemu-kvm and it comes up to the "boot:" prompt. At that point things I type are
> echoed to the console. If I hit ENTER the next part of the boot continues, and
> it gets to the prompt
> "Enter control-d for normal boot or root password for maintenance"
> At that point it ignores the keyboard, and if I go into QEMU and try to send the
> character with that, "sendkey cntl-d" it ignores that as well. This was in a
> *very* old system and I bet it's looking for an AT keyboard rather than PS/2.
> Any thoughts?

Well...

(1) SCO Open Server was first released in 1989, and the PS/2 was
released two years earlier. More importantly...

(2) An AT and a PS/2 keyboard are the same, with different physical
connectors. (XT keyboards used different codes).

Is your VM emulating a USB or PS/2 keyboard?

-Chris

Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Bill Davidsen

Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 22:51 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> I have not tried it, so this is just an idea. If Linux supports the
>>> multi-port card, and it does support some, then map that many serial
>>> ports from the VM to the actual ports. You will have to check if
>>> your VM has enough virtual ports to make it work.
>>>

>> Progress - I have the physical disk image in a file, and I start it with
>> qemu-kvm and it comes up to the "boot:" prompt. At that point things I type are
>> echoed to the console. If I hit ENTER the next part of the boot continues, and
>> it gets to the prompt
>> "Enter control-d for normal boot or root password for maintenance"
>> At that point it ignores the keyboard, and if I go into QEMU and try to send the
>> character with that, "sendkey cntl-d" it ignores that as well. This was in a
>> *very* old system and I bet it's looking for an AT keyboard rather than PS/2.
>> Any thoughts?
>
> Well...
>
> (1) SCO Open Server was first released in 1989, and the PS/2 was
> released two years earlier. More importantly...
>
> (2) An AT and a PS/2 keyboard are the same, with different physical
> connectors. (XT keyboards used different codes).
>
> Is your VM emulating a USB or PS/2 keyboard?

Supposedly a PS/2, I didn't use the "-usbdevice" option, to the keyboard and
mouse should be PS/2, only being a server it isn't going to use a mouse,
presumably. Man page says it does PS/2 by default, that appears to be the case
for Linux in a VM, I don't think I have a bootable machine with AT keyboard left
to see if it's different in some way.

Odd that the boot manager would see the keystrokes, if I type printing
characters they echo, BS deletes them, ENTER starts the boot, and after that kb
is ignored.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 10-24-2011, 06:37 AM
Michael Cronenworth

On 10/23/2011 03:34 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Any hope that I could get KVM
> to provide usable serial ports to the VM using a modern card?

I don't think KVM will run SCO. It wouldn't last time I tried.

I have SCO running under VirtualBox and I have passed it serial ports
from a PCI-Express card without a problem. SCO sees it as a dummy serial
card.