Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Chris Hobson

Default Webex and Fedora 8

Hi there
I am running a well patched Fedora 8 and most things work just fine. One
show stopper I have at the moment though is when I try to set up a Webex
session (using Firefox 2.0.12 - the latest production release version
). When I go to start a meeting the system gets to the "starting
meeting" dialog and then just stops. No amount of cajoling or trying
will get me past this screen. I have not installed the Sun Java, but I
do have the iced tea version (java-1.7.0-icedtea - 1.7.0.0.0.19.b21
snapshot.fc8.i586 IcedTea Runtime Environment
The webex help pages all make it sound as though Webex should install
and run easily in a Linux environment.
Has anyone else had this problem? It could be related to the Sun Java
not being installed, but I'd like to know if that's the case before I
have to switch from the IcedTea runtime

Thanks!

Chris

Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:53:57 -0600
Chris Hobson <drchrishobson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else had this problem? It could be related to the Sun Java
> not being installed, but I'd like to know if that's the case before I
> have to switch from the IcedTea runtime

Don't know about webex, but I certainly couldn't get the citrix
java client to work until I installed the official Sun java
(which, incidentally, is almost impossible to determine how to
do if you happen to encounter the wrong web page first - you
want to go to java.com and press the big green button - you DO
NOT want to go to sun.java.com and try to find your way between
the twisty maze of acronyms, all different :-).

Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 AM
"Andrew Parker"

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 12:53 PM, Chris Hobson <drchrishobson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
> I am running a well patched Fedora 8 and most things work just fine. One
> show stopper I have at the moment though is when I try to set up a Webex
> session (using Firefox 2.0.12 - the latest production release version
> ). When I go to start a meeting the system gets to the "starting
> meeting" dialog and then just stops. No amount of cajoling or trying
> will get me past this screen. I have not installed the Sun Java, but I
> do have the iced tea version (java-1.7.0-icedtea - 1.7.0.0.0.19.b21
> snapshot.fc8.i586 IcedTea Runtime Environment
> The webex help pages all make it sound as though Webex should install
> and run easily in a Linux environment.
> Has anyone else had this problem? It could be related to the Sun Java
> not being installed, but I'd like to know if that's the case before I
> have to switch from the IcedTea runtime

Can't say I've tried it in F8, but I've had no problems in F7 using Sun's java.