Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Roger Heflin

Default Opinions on Adaptec SATA HostRAID?

Steve Snyder wrote:
I'm thinking of using the embedded Adaptec SATA HostRAID functionality on
my Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard.

Does anyone have any experience using Adaptec's HostRAID with Fedora
7/8/9? Any success or horror stories to relate?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you have to use Adaptec's extra driver disk, you don't want it,
you will have to redo the driver on *EACH* kernel update, and it will
be a big problem each time to remember to do it (and if you don't the machine
won't boot the new kernel).

If it works through dm-raid you should be ok, I don't remember if the Adaptec
HostRAID works properly through dm-raid, I kind of think that it did start
working a version or two ago, but I don't remember for sure, you should probably
look on the dm-raid mailing list for more information about it, and for any
gotcha reported with it.

Roger

Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Paul Shaffer

I ran F6 on an X5DAL with no problem for over a year.* But F8 appeared to no longer support the Intel SATA chipset it uses.* There's various versions of them out there.* I wouldn't be surprised if Supermicro uses different vendors for that hardware within same or similar model lines, depending on availability.* If it loads a driver for it you'll probably be fine.* Try it and see.

Steve Snyder <swsnyder@insightbb.com> wrote: I'm thinking of using the embedded Adaptec SATA HostRAID functionality on
my Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard.

Does anyone have any experience using Adaptec's HostRAID with Fedora
7/8/9? Any success or horror stories to relate?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Chris Snook

Steve Snyder wrote:
I'm thinking of using the embedded Adaptec SATA HostRAID functionality on
my Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard.

Does anyone have any experience using Adaptec's HostRAID with Fedora
7/8/9? Any success or horror stories to relate?

Any information would be appreciated.

HostRAID is just software RAID implemented in a device driver. It was
originally intended for use with operating systems that lack a generic software
RAID implementation. Since Linux has a robust and well-optimized generic
software RAID implementation (two of them, actually), it's rather silly to use
HostRAID under Linux.

-- Chris

Old 03-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Chris Snook

Steve Snyder wrote:

I'm thinking of using the embedded Adaptec SATA HostRAID
functionality on my Supermicro X7DWA-N motherboard.

Does anyone have any experience using Adaptec's HostRAID with Fedora
7/8/9? Any success or horror stories to relate?

Any information would be appreciated.

HostRAID is just software RAID implemented in a device driver. It was
originally intended for use with operating systems that lack a generic
software RAID implementation. Since Linux has a robust and
well-optimized generic software RAID implementation (two of them,
actually), it's rather silly to use HostRAID under Linux.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

I'm a total RAID newbie and thought that the HostRAID BIOS support and
Linux device driver worked together, rather than being redundant.

That's not entirely false. Recent device mapper will attempt to detect a
HostRAID configuration and emulate it with dm-raid, but this isn't foolproof,
and offers no benefit over simply configuring dm-raid directly. If you want to
use mdadm for software RAID, you should definitely disable HostRAID entirely, as
it will only cause problems.

Before you ask, I have no recommendations regarding dm-raid vs. mdadm. Both
generally work fine. dm-raid is newer and shinier, while mdadm is more
established and better documented.

-- Chris

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Roger Heflin

Chris Snook wrote:

Steve Snyder wrote:

[...]

And note that if you don't disable it and use the disks without hostraid or
dmraid, months from now on a reboot the bios might mention that it thinks the
array is out of sync, and ask if you want to fix it, if you say yes - your data
could be gone, depending on exactly what configuration you had on the disks. I
had a customer that did a reinstall without the hostraid driver (before dmraid
supported it) saw 2 disks, and used both, and months later the bios mentioned
out-of-sync and the customer allowed it to correct the "problem".

Before you ask, I have no recommendations regarding dm-raid vs. mdadm.
Both generally work fine. dm-raid is newer and shinier, while mdadm is
more established and better documented.

-- Chris

dm-raid working with the bios should be easier on a primary disk failure, but is
newer and probably also has more bugs so that may offset that ability.

mdadm does work well but on a bad failure you need the ability to understand
what happened to understand how to best fix it. I generally use mdadm because
of the more established and better documented, and I expect to be able to figure
out exactly how to fix it without data loss. And mdadm disks can be moved to
any linux machine that can support those disks and be expected to work, were the
HostRAID disks may have to be moved to another similar HostRAID machine to be
readable, so if you have a MB failure, mdadm has more options.

Roger

Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Albert Graham

Hi Steve,

You may also consider the info on this site:

http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

Albert.