Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
antonio montagnani

Default Gdm removed when sugar WM removed

I installed Sugar as additional Windows Manager, but when I removed all
sugar group also gdm was removed, so I couldn't restart graphically.I
had to start in text mode, and re-install it.
I suppose that this is not correct, but what is wrong??

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com
http://www.studiodacolpaloschi.it

Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 10/23/2011 04:42 AM, antonio montagnani wrote:
> I installed Sugar as additional Windows Manager, but when I removed all
> sugar group also gdm was removed, so I couldn't restart graphically.I
> had to start in text mode, and re-install it.
> I suppose that this is not correct, but what is wrong??

When you removed the entire group you also took GDM with it because it's
part of the group. All you need to do it reinstall GDM to get your
graphical log in back.

/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
--
Signature shamelessly copied from:
Jatin Khatri & geleem

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
antonio

Mark LaPierre ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 23/10/2011
15:24:
> On 10/23/2011 04:42 AM, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> I installed Sugar as additional Windows Manager, but when I removed all
>> sugar group also gdm was removed, so I couldn't restart graphically.I
>> had to start in text mode, and re-install it.
>> I suppose that this is not correct, but what is wrong??
>>
> When you removed the entire group you also took GDM with it because it's
> part of the group. All you need to do it reinstall GDM to get your
> graphical log in back.

that is what I did (a stated in my previous message)...but I suppose
that GDM is included in any group of WM's, i.e. a newbie might
disinstall GDM any WM group he would disinstall: quite insane, isn't it

Old 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 10/23/2011 09:28 AM, antonio wrote:
> Mark LaPierre ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 23/10/2011
> 15:24:
>> On 10/23/2011 04:42 AM, antonio montagnani wrote:
>>> I installed Sugar as additional Windows Manager, but when I removed all
>>> sugar group also gdm was removed, so I couldn't restart graphically.I
>>> had to start in text mode, and re-install it.
>>> I suppose that this is not correct, but what is wrong??
>>>
>> When you removed the entire group you also took GDM with it because it's
>> part of the group. All you need to do it reinstall GDM to get your
>> graphical log in back.
>>
> that is what I did (a stated in my previous message)...but I suppose
> that GDM is included in any group of WM's, i.e. a newbie might
> disinstall GDM any WM group he would disinstall: quite insane, isn't it

It would be nice if it checked to see if there were any other window
manager packages installed before removing GDM. That would make the
system more user friendly for new users who didn't know what GDM was or
how to reinstall it without a GUI.

The problem with that approach is that the list of WM's, and the
associated package names would have to be provided in some way so that
it would know what to look for. I can see managing that list getting
out of hand in a hurry. How could you be sure that the list contained
all the possible WM's?

/(_)

Old 10-23-2011, 02:20 PM
antonio montagnani

Mark LaPierre ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 23/10/2011
16:13:
> On 10/23/2011 09:28 AM, antonio wrote:
>> Mark LaPierre ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 23/10/2011
>> 15:24:
>>>>
>>> When you removed the entire group you also took GDM with it because it's
>>> part of the group. All you need to do it reinstall GDM to get your
>>> graphical log in back.
>>>
>> that is what I did (a stated in my previous message)...but I suppose
>> that GDM is included in any group of WM's, i.e. a newbie might
>> disinstall GDM any WM group he would disinstall: quite insane, isn't it
>>

> It would be nice if it checked to see if there were any other window
> manager packages installed before removing GDM. That would make the
> system more user friendly for new users who didn't know what GDM was or
> how to reinstall it without a GUI.
>
> The problem with that approach is that the list of WM's, and the
> associated package names would have to be provided in some way so that
> it would know what to look for. I can see managing that list getting
> out of hand in a hurry. How could you be sure that the list contained
> all the possible WM's?

A simple solution would be not disinstall GDM by default in any WM group
disinstallation: I guess that many people want to try different WM's and
in case they decided to disinstall some WM, their GDM would be killed,
that is not fair. How about this simple decision, i.e. not to include
GDM in any disinstallation list??

Old 10-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/23/2011 07:50 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:

> A simple solution would be not disinstall GDM by default in any WM group
> disinstallation: I guess that many people want to try different WM's and
> in case they decided to disinstall some WM, their GDM would be killed,
> that is not fair. How about this simple decision, i.e. not to include
> GDM in any disinstallation list??

How many other packages would you add to such a list? This is a clunky
solution really.

Rahul

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
antonio montagnani

Rahul Sundaram ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on
23/10/2011 16:52:
> On 10/23/2011 07:50 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:
>
>> A simple solution would be not disinstall GDM by default in any WM group
>> disinstallation: I guess that many people want to try different WM's and
>> in case they decided to disinstall some WM, their GDM would be killed,
>> that is not fair. How about this simple decision, i.e. not to include
>> GDM in any disinstallation list??
>
> How many other packages would you add to such a list? This is a clunky
> solution really.
>
> Rahul

I don't know what is the solution (I am a power user, non a developer)
but I still think that removing GDM by simply removing any WM group is
not the same that removing other packages, as when you logout and login
again your system is pretty unusable for a standard user.
Especially after Gnome3 introduction many want to try alternative WM and
GDM is blown away when they remove any WM

My two cents.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Tim

antonio montagnani:
>> A simple solution would be not disinstall GDM by default in any WM group
>> disinstallation: I guess that many people want to try different WM's and
>> in case they decided to disinstall some WM, their GDM would be killed,
>> that is not fair. How about this simple decision, i.e. not to include
>> GDM in any disinstallation list??

Rahul Sundaram:
> How many other packages would you add to such a list? This is a clunky
> solution really.

The problem sounds far stupider, to me, than the proposal to avoid it.
The problem sounds like dependencies in the wrong direction.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/23/2011 10:44 PM, Tim wrote:

> The problem sounds far stupider, to me, than the proposal to avoid it.
> The problem sounds like dependencies in the wrong direction.

The solution is silly regardless of the problem. There are no reverse
dependencies in play here. If you want to understand the problem, take
the time to read

http://illiterat.livejournal.com/5571.html

Rahul

Old 10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/23/2011 07:20 AM, antonio montagnani wrote:
> A simple solution would be not disinstall GDM by default in any WM group
> disinstallation: I guess that many people want to try different WM's and
> in case they decided to disinstall some WM, their GDM would be killed,
> that is not fair. How about this simple decision, i.e. not to include
> GDM in any disinstallation list??

In general, when you remove a package you also remove its dependencies
if and only if nothing else needs them. As long as you have a WM
installed that needs gdm, it shouldn't be removed. Sounds like a bug to
me. Report it.