Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 AM
suvayu ali

Default Unable to ssh nodes with global IP

Hi Abu Attar,

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:09, Abu Attar Musharih
<abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
> The customer service said that *ssh is not allowed. So, what to do
> then? I badly need a server with global IP for experimenting grid
> computing.

To be absolutely sure you can try the following.

1. confirm your global ip (e.g. here: http://checkip.dyndns.com)
2. check sshd is running at your end and is using port 22. you can try
ssh-ing to another local user to check easily.
3. nc -z <global.ip> 22 (from a machine outside your local network)
4. if this last step shows you that connection is not happening, you
can try looking at your router settings. there should be a way to
port forward your ssh connections to port 22 of the machine you want
to use as a server.

There are 2 "gotchas" about the above. You have to use other ports on
the router for ssh to other machines on the same local network (not sure
if there is a better way, but in my limited understanding this is the
case). The other is, often ISPs have dynamic IPs, so the moment you
reconnect or reboot your router, your IP might change (will?). To get
around this you can use a service like dyndns.com (I use their free
service) and use something like ddclient to update the IP when it is
changed.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Old 10-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.10.2011 12:09, schrieb suvayu ali:
> Hi Abu Attar,
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:09, Abu Attar Musharih
> <abuattar.musharih@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The customer service said that ssh is not allowed. So, what to do
>> then? I badly need a server with global IP for experimenting grid
>> computing.
>
> To be absolutely sure you can try the following.
>
> 1. confirm your global ip (e.g. here: http://checkip.dyndns.com)
> 2. check sshd is running at your end and is using port 22. you can try
> ssh-ing to another local user to check easily.
> 3. nc -z <global.ip> 22 (from a machine outside your local network)
> 4. if this last step shows you that connection is not happening, you
> can try looking at your router settings. there should be a way to
> port forward your ssh connections to port 22 of the machine you want
> to use as a server

mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
is shortly down - driving all the time around?

put sshd on port 10022 and all is well

this has the additional benefit to get rid of the most
idiots trying password-attacks all day long

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Harish Pillay

> On 10/23/2011 05:09 PM, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
>> The customer service said that *ssh is not allowed. So, what to do
>> then? I badly need a server with global IP for experimenting grid

You can do the following:
a) edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change the default port 22 to a
higher port say 10022. Actually anything above 1024 would
be sufficient.
b) restart your sshd daemon
c) from your client, say if you are running on the command line,
you can do the following: ssh -p 10022 hostname
replacing the 10022 with whatever you've changed your sshd
to.
d) do ensure that on your server you open up the port you want
sshd to accept connections. you can do that from the
command line via system-config-firewall.

hth.

harish

Old 10-23-2011, 10:20 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
> if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
> is shortly down - driving all the time around?

I didn't say that machine, I said a machine, as in any other machine
not on the same local network. I am assuming if the OP wants to work
with grid computing he has access to some other
server/desktop/whatever which is connected to the internet. And he
doesn't have to drive there, he can always use ssh. The OP never said
ssh to some machine outside is not working, so its a fair assumption
that he can.

Hope this is clearer.

--
Suvayu

Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.10.2011 12:20, schrieb suvayu ali:

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
> if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
> is shortly down - driving all the time around?

I didn't say that machine, I said a machine, as in any other machine
not on the same local network. I am assuming if the OP wants to work
with grid computing he has access to some other
server/desktop/whatever which is connected to the internet. And he
doesn't have to drive there, he can always use ssh. The OP never said
ssh to some machine outside is not working, so its a fair assumption
that he can.

well, you can use 20 different machines to achieve a result
or simply change a port so it is not blocked by the isp

what do you think is smarter?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:42, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 23.10.2011 12:20, schrieb suvayu ali:
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>
>> mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
>> if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
>> is shortly down - driving all the time around?
>>
> I didn't say that machine, I said a machine, as in any other machine
> not on the same local network. I am assuming if the OP wants to work
> with grid computing he has access to some other
> server/desktop/whatever which is connected to the internet. And he
> doesn't have to drive there, he can always use ssh. The OP never said
> ssh to some machine outside is not working, so its a fair assumption
> that he can.
>
> well, you can use 20 different machines to achieve a result
> or simply change a port so it is not blocked by the isp
>
> what do you think is smarter?

I am no expert, I just said what worked for me in the past. I ssh into
many systems everyday so changing to non-standard ports is
inconvenient. Rather than speculate what other ways might work I chose
to suggest what has worked for me in the past.

In any case I don't think many ISPs forward all ports to the user.
Depending on their policy, they will forward certain ports. If its a
non-standard port, and the ISP forwards selective ports it is more
likely that those will be blocked.

In any case I think Ed's suggestion is something the OP should try too.

--
Suvayu

Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.10.2011 12:58, schrieb suvayu ali:

> I am no expert, I just said what worked for me in the past. I ssh into
> many systems everyday so changing to non-standard ports is
> inconvenient

where is there any single problem if you can read manuals?
you have to specify the port only once per client and after
that rsync, ssh, scp and sftp even in konqueror is using this
port

cat /etc/ssh/ssh_config
Host *
GSSAPIAuthentication no
Compression yes
CompressionLevel 9
Protocol 2
StrictHostKeyChecking ask

Host yourhost.domain.tld
Port 10022

Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:47, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 23.10.2011 12:20, schrieb suvayu ali:
>
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:12, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
>
>> mh and hwo do you start "nc" if you can not connect to the machine and
>> if you drive to the machine doing this manually what after internet
>> is shortly down - driving all the time around?
>>
> I didn't say that machine, I said a machine, as in any other machine
> not on the same local network. I am assuming if the OP wants to work
> with grid computing he has access to some other
> server/desktop/whatever which is connected to the internet. And he
> doesn't have to drive there, he can always use ssh. The OP never said
> ssh to some machine outside is not working, so its a fair assumption
> that he can.
>
> NO HE CAN NOT AND THAT IS WHY PEOPOLE SHOULD NOT POST OFF-LIST

I did not, you are adding me to the to: header. Fix your email client.

> HOW WILL YOU ACCESS THE MACHINE REMOTE TO START NC WITHOUT DRIVING
> THERE GENIUS?

Please be civil. Read my post carefully, then respond. And there is no
need to respond to the same email twice.

Now to the point of the discussion:

The OP is trying to setup a server, lets call it newserver. Lets call
his already working machine laptop. According to my suggestion he
either needs to connect the laptop to a different network and use,

nc -z <newserver_ip>

--
Suvayu

Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 13:04, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 23.10.2011 12:58, schrieb suvayu ali:
>
>> I am no expert, I just said what worked for me in the past. I ssh into
>> many systems everyday so changing to non-standard ports is
>> inconvenient
>
> where is there any single problem if you can read manuals?
> you have to specify the port only once per client and after
> that rsync, ssh, scp and sftp even in konqueror is using this
> port

Please read carefully. I ssh to *multiple* machines. The list of
clients is hundreds, also I don't have the complete list.

I mostly have to login to a distributed computing resource where the
physical node you is selected dynamically based on availability and
load. So I don't have the complete list of IPs.

PS: Please be civil and don't insult fellow list members.

--
Suvayu

Old 10-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 23.10.2011 13:09, schrieb suvayu ali:

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 13:04, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 23.10.2011 12:58, schrieb suvayu ali:
>
>> I am no expert, I just said what worked for me in the past. I ssh into
>> many systems everyday so changing to non-standard ports is
>> inconvenient
> where is there any single problem if you can read manuals?
> you have to specify the port only once per client and after
> that rsync, ssh, scp and sftp even in konqueror is using this
> port
> Please read carefully. I ssh to *multiple* machines. The list of
> clients is hundreds, also I don't have the complete list.

well i maintain 40 machines, all with non-standard-port and connecting
multiple hundret times to omst of them each day

/home/username/.ssh/id_rsa is needed on all clients or do you really
allow password-login on standard-port and type the password all day long?
so there is supported a file called "config" in the same folder

> I mostly have to login to a distributed computing resource where the
> physical node you is selected dynamically based on availability and
> load. So I don't have the complete list of IPs.

ip-addresses are not interesting here

failovers are working dns-based, so your hostname is the same
the ssh-client config is hostname-based