Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 AM
Strong

Default Want postfix with mysql support, courier-imapd, amavisd-new - if possible.

Good day all!

I have to set up a server that includes the following services:
. apache
. vsftpd
. squid+mysql for user authorization
. iptables (as a router for local network)
. postfix+antispam
. mysql
. postgresql

My problem/question is this: in FC6 I had to compile myself some
packages in order to make them work as I wanted. So, in order to avoid
it, I'm looking for the following:
. postfix with mysql support,
. courier-imapd
. amavisd-new

Could You please let me know if they are available in F8? Or may there
is interchangeable packages for the same purposes?

I'm advised to go to debian for those and set up its server. But I
prefer rpm-based distro, basicly - Fedora (or may CentOS for server).
That's why I raise such a question here. Thanks for Your advice!

Old 03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
John Summerfield

Strong wrote:

Good day all!

Gday!
I'm looking at rawhide.

I have to set up a server that includes the following services:
. apache

Tick

. vsftpd

Tick

. squid+mysql for user authorization
Squid and mysql are both included. I don't know about authentication,
I've always protected squid by controlling access to particular
(internal) network addresses/

. iptables (as a router for local network)

Tick
I recommend shorewall though. It's included in Fedora and Debian but not
(AFAIK) CentOS.

. postfix+antispam

Tick

. mysql

Tick

. postgresql

Tick

My problem/question is this: in FC6 I had to compile myself some
packages in order to make them work as I wanted. So, in order to avoid
it, I'm looking for the following:
. postfix with mysql support,

postfix in f9alpha requires mysql libraries

. courier-imapd
I've heard good reports of Courier, but never used it. I like cyrus
imapd which probably does more than you need.

. amavisd-new

Tick

Could You please let me know if they are available in F8? Or may there
is interchangeable packages for the same purposes?

I don't really recommend Fedora for production use, especially on a
server. It's too prone to crashing, even without tracking rawhid.

I'm advised to go to debian for those and set up its server. But I
prefer rpm-based distro, basicly - Fedora (or may CentOS for server).
That's why I raise such a question here. Thanks for Your advice!
CentOS is fine for servers and it's what I use when I'm not using
Debian. However, CentOS doesn't have as vast an array of software included.

Debian has a vast array of software, and it's all supported for the life
of the release. apt-get is about equivalent to yum, and imv is
preferable. dpkg is about equivalent to rpm, and I think that's better
too. Packaging aside, Debian's not that different from RHL's successors,
and certainly more like than SUSE is.

RH expects users to use a GUI to configure stuff, Debian decries such
nonsense.

--

Cheers
John