Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Bill Perry

Default Fedora 15 +scsi Solved

It appears that my scsi card went bad during the hardware upgrade.

Arrrrrg!

Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:10:51 -0700
Bill Perry wrote:

> It appears that my scsi card went bad during the hardware upgrade.
>
> Arrrrrg!

I'm convinced that hardware just sits around waiting for
a software upgrade so it can fail at the most confusing
possible time :-).

Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/21/2011 12:10 PM, Bill Perry wrote:
> It appears that my scsi card went bad during the hardware upgrade.
>
> Arrrrrg!

Yeah; weird when that happens, isn't it? My sister had a problem with
her Ubuntu box refusing to accept DNS numbers. When we tried to use a
Live CD to upgrade to 11.10 (after backing up her home folder) it
wouldn't boot after the upgrade. We tried nuke/pave/reinstall with the
same results: turns out from the boot messages that her HDD's failing.
Right now, she's running off the LiveCD until we can get a new drive.
(Oddly enough, the LiveCD can read the drive even though it's probably
on its last legs.) And, of course, the timing makes it even harder to
diagnose because you're natural reaction is to think it's a software issue.

Glad that you found out what was wrong. Hope everything goes well once
you've replaced it.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/21/2011 12:18 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I'm convinced that hardware just sits around waiting for
> a software upgrade so it can fail at the most confusing
> possible time :-).

Of course it does, it's the AHS/ASS principle: All Hardware Sucks/All
Software Sucks. And, I might add, ADS: All Documentation Sucks. Of
course, the Lovelace value varies considerably with Gnome 3 having an Ll
value of maybe .15 and Windows Vista weighing in at roughly 1500 Ll.
Personally, I find that the Gnome 2 Help system has a Ll value of at
least 5 because there's no way to limit your search to the program
you're currently trying to get help with. Naturally, YMMV and probably
does.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Tim

Bill Perry:
>> It appears that my scsi card went bad during the hardware upgrade.
>>
>> Arrrrrg!

Tom Horsley:
> I'm convinced that hardware just sits around waiting for
> a software upgrade so it can fail at the most confusing
> possible time :-).

It's not too surprising, in some cases...

Often, a computer spends most of its time idling along, but an install
causes it to do a moderately heavy workload for a prolonged period, and
that can show up cooling faults, or be the straw that broke the camel's
back in components that were on the verge of failing.

And then there's computers that spend a year or two sitting on the
shelf, then the user opens them up and rummages around inside.
Subjecting it to physical stress (twisting the case, so cards walk out
of the motherboard, or hairline fractures occur), and to static shocks.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM
Bill Davidsen

Tim wrote:
> Bill Perry:
>>> It appears that my scsi card went bad during the hardware upgrade.
>>>
>>> Arrrrrg!
>
> Tom Horsley:
>> I'm convinced that hardware just sits around waiting for
>> a software upgrade so it can fail at the most confusing
>> possible time :-).
>
> It's not too surprising, in some cases...
>
> Often, a computer spends most of its time idling along, but an install
> causes it to do a moderately heavy workload for a prolonged period, and
> that can show up cooling faults, or be the straw that broke the camel's
> back in components that were on the verge of failing.
>
> And then there's computers that spend a year or two sitting on the
> shelf, then the user opens them up and rummages around inside.
> Subjecting it to physical stress (twisting the case, so cards walk out
> of the motherboard, or hairline fractures occur), and to static shocks.

Dust. You disturb the dust.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>