Old 10-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Amit Saha

Default nslookup fails on local host

Hello all:

My first post here, and I begin with a (possibly super) newbie query.

'nslookup' fails to resolve my local machine which I have named: 'soma'.

Here are some data:

$hostname
soma.ad.adfa.edu.au

$hostname -d
ad.adfa.edu.au

$domainname
(none)

I connect to the LAN via DHCP. Lookup on any remote website/or my own
Ubuntu box succeeds.

Where should I be looking into?

Many TIA
-Amit

--
http://echorand.me

Old 10-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Reindl Harald

normal bahavior as long there is no dns-record
nslookup = NAME SERVER lookup

Old 10-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Amit Saha

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:
> normal bahavior as long there is no dns-record

Yes, I recognize that. What confuses me is that on my Ubuntu desktop,
I didn't have to do anything explicitly.

> nslookup = NAME SERVER lookup

I am sorry, I didn't quite get this.

TIA,
Amit