Old 10-21-2011, 12:46 AM
Paolo Galtieri

Default Cannot configure printer that is on a windows server

Folks,
* I have a printer issue that I cannot figure out what is going on.* Here's the issue:

I run system-config-printer and I select add a network printer.* I select the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" option and enter

TALOFASYSTEMS/TALOFA01/

and click browse.* After a few seconds an SMB Browser popup is displayed with TALOFASYSTEMS as the share name and TALOFA01 as the comment with an arrow in front of the share name.* A couple of seconds later I get an authentication popup indicating I need to login to TALOFA01, which is the windows system where the printer is, requiring I enter a username and password.* This is the output from s-c-p

Caught non-fatal exception.* Traceback:
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 5204, in fillDeviceTab
*** ipp_allowed = f.check_ipp_client_allowed ()
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/firewall.py", line 77, in check_ipp_client_allowed

*** self.ALLOW_IPP_CLIENT]))
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/firewall.py", line 60, in _check_any_allowed
*** (args, filename) = self._get_fw_data ()
File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/firewall.py", line 47, in _get_fw_data

*** self._fw_data = pickle.loads (p.encode ('utf-8'))
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/pickle.py", line 1382, in loads
*** return Unpickler(file).load()
File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/pickle.py", line 858, in load

*** dispatch[key](self)
KeyError: '['
Continuing anyway..
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/root/.smb/smb.conf":
*** No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/root/.smb/smb.conf.append":

*** No such file or directory
got no contact to IPC$
got no contact to IPC$

The username it fills in is root, the domain name is TALOFASYSTEMS.* Trying root password returns "Not Authorized the password may be incorrect"

Back in the Fedora 12 time frame I had no problems configuring a printer, to the same system, using samba.* Since Fedora 14 I can longer do so.

If I configure the printer on Windows 7 I'm not asked for any authentication information and no authentication information is configured on the windows server side.

Anybody have any pointers as to how to configure a printer via samba?

Also my mother, who is running scientific linux, is having the same problem.

I have stopped iptables service and disabled the firewall and it still fails.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paolo

Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Tim Waugh

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 17:46 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> and click browse. After a few seconds an SMB Browser popup is
> displayed with TALOFASYSTEMS as the share name and TALOFA01 as the
> comment with an arrow in front of the share name. A couple of seconds
> later I get an authentication popup indicating I need to login to
> TALOFA01, which is the windows system where the printer is, requiring
> I enter a username and password.

If you try to browse the shares of that machine using the File Manager
(Network / Browse Network / Windows Network), do you have more success?

> This is the output from s-c-p
> Caught non-fatal exception. Traceback:
[...]
> self._fw_data = pickle.loads (p.encode ('utf-8'))

Oh, I need to make an update for system-config-printer to match the new
system-config-firewall API in Fedora 14. Somehow this got missed -- but
it isn't relevant to your problem.

Tim.
*/

Old 10-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Paolo Galtieri

On 10/21/11 01:46, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 17:46 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
>> and click browse. After a few seconds an SMB Browser popup is
>> displayed with TALOFASYSTEMS as the share name and TALOFA01 as the
>> comment with an arrow in front of the share name. A couple of seconds
>> later I get an authentication popup indicating I need to login to
>> TALOFA01, which is the windows system where the printer is, requiring
>> I enter a username and password.
>
> If you try to browse the shares of that machine using the File Manager
> (Network / Browse Network / Windows Network), do you have more success?
>
>> This is the output from s-c-p
>> Caught non-fatal exception. Traceback:
> [...]
>> self._fw_data = pickle.loads (p.encode ('utf-8'))
>
> Oh, I need to make an update for system-config-printer to match the new
> system-config-firewall API in Fedora 14. Somehow this got missed -- but
> it isn't relevant to your problem.
>
> Tim.
> */

If I run

smbclient -L 192.168.1.110

I get the following. Note that it doesn't matter what I enter when it
prompts for root password.

Enter root's password:
session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[TALOFA01] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
<output removed>

E$ Disk Default share
Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESCP 2 Printer Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESC/P 2
EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series Printer EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series
F$ Disk Default share
G$ Disk Default share

<output removed>

Y$ Disk Default share
Z$ Disk Default share
session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

I removed some of the output, but it shows the printers I want to
access, but can't.

Paolo

Old 10-21-2011, 11:01 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

On 10/21/2011 04:58 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> If I run
>
> smbclient -L 192.168.1.110
>
> I get the following. Note that it doesn't matter what I enter when it
> prompts for root password.
>
> Enter root's password:
> session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
> Domain=[TALOFA01] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]
>
> Sharename Type Comment
> --------- ---- -------
> <output removed>
>
> E$ Disk Default share
> Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESCP 2 Printer Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESC/P 2
> EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series Printer EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series
> F$ Disk Default share
> G$ Disk Default share
>
> <output removed>
>
> Y$ Disk Default share
> Z$ Disk Default share
> session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)
> NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available
>
> I removed some of the output, but it shows the printers I want to
> access, but can't.
>
> Paolo
Dumb question - what happens if you use the Windows name for the
computer, instead of its IP address? I do not know about Windows 7,
but I know XP does not like it when you use the IP address instead
of the computer's name.

smbclient -L MARY-XP works.
smbclient -L 192.168.55.33 does not, even though they are the same
machine, and I can ping 192.168.55.33. On the other hand, Samba
servers will accept either form.

Mikkel
- --

Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Paolo Galtieri

The issue isn't ip address vs name either one works.* The issue is why am I being asked for authentication information when none is configured on the windows side?* I can access the server via smbclient with no issues, but I can't configure a printer using s-c-p because it asks for authentication.

Paolo

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mellertson@gmail.com> wrote:

On 10/21/2011 04:58 PM, Paolo Galtieri wrote:

> If I run

> smbclient -L 192.168.1.110

> I get the following. *Note that it doesn't matter what I enter when it

> prompts for root password.

> Enter root's password:

> session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)

> Domain=[TALOFA01] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]

> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]

> * * * Sharename * * * Type * * *Comment

> * * * --------- * * * ---- * * *-------

> <output removed>

> * * * E$ * * * * * * *Disk * * *Default share

> * * * Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESCP 2 Printer * Epson Stylus Photo 1270 ESC/P 2

> * * * EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series Printer * EPSON Stylus Photo RX595 Series

> * * * F$ * * * * * * *Disk * * *Default share

> * * * G$ * * * * * * *Disk * * *Default share

> <output removed>

> * * * Y$ * * * * * * *Disk * * *Default share

> * * * Z$ * * * * * * *Disk * * *Default share

> session request to 192.168.1.110 failed (Called name not present)

> session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)

> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

> NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

> I removed some of the output, but it shows the printers I want to

> access, but can't.

> Paolo

Dumb question - what happens if you use the Windows name for the

computer, instead of its IP address? I do not know about Windows 7,

but I know XP does not like it when you use the IP address instead

of the computer's name.

smbclient -L MARY-XP works.

smbclient -L 192.168.55.33 does not, even though they are the same

machine, and I can ping 192.168.55.33. On the other hand, Samba

servers will accept either form.

Mikkel

- --

*Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,

Old 10-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Tim Waugh

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 14:58 -0700, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> > If you try to browse the shares of that machine using the File Manager
> > (Network / Browse Network / Windows Network), do you have more success?
> smbclient -L 192.168.1.110
>
> I get the following. Note that it doesn't matter what I enter when it
> prompts for root password.

OK... how about if you try with the File Manager (nautilus)? I'm pretty
sure that uses libsmbclient, i.e. the same library that
system-config-printer uses.

Tim.
*/