Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Cruz Azul

Default How to access the internet using a cellphone

I am using FC5 and I want to know if there is a way that*I can use my Razor cellphone to access the internet as I do with my windows computer and my cellphone.

*

Please help

*

thank you

Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Antonio Olivares

--- Cruz Azul <danielcruzazul1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am using FC5 and I want to know if there is a way
> that I can use my Razor cellphone to access the
> internet as I do with my windows computer and my
> cellphone.
>
> Please help
>
> thank you

interesting topic, I have not tried this but you might
take a shot

http://www.arachnoid.com/linux/linux_mobile_internet_access.html

http://ihatehate.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/linux-tutorial-how-to-use-a-cellphone-as-a-modem/

Depends on the service and the phone company etc.

Estadio Azul, Mexico D.F.
Cruz Azul 2 - America 2

Hope this helps,

Antonio

Old 03-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 18:20 -0700, Cruz Azul wrote:
> I am using FC5 and I want to know if there is a way that I can use my
> Razor cellphone to access the internet as I do with my windows
> computer and my cellphone.

I haven't gotten it to work past the detection stage, not sure if the
cellphone is locked or what. But, Bitpim looks promising! I have an LG
phone from Verizon, and there is a setting for data listing serial or
USB in the phone setup. I bought both cables, the serial one was a dud,
and the USB one makes a nice entry in lsusb. It's there and Bitpim finds
it after some nudging. I see a connect, but it's not getting past
"something mysterious to me" to actually grab cellphone data to my
computer. If it's locked in some fashion, I have no clue.

Also, X is damn picky about hot plugging it. If my phone is on, and the
X session is running, it locks up X. If I turn the machine off, reboot
with the cellphone on and connected, X proceeds as usual. I thought the
whole thing about USB was to be able to just plug stuff in, but I'm
wrong about that point. If anyone has a clue as to real connect
procedure regarding USB devices, please point me to it. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Dennis Gilmore

On Tuesday 18 March 2008, Cruz Azul wrote:
> I am using FC5 and I want to know if there is a way that I can use my Razor
> cellphone to access the internet as I do with my windows computer and my
> cellphone.

you should be able to use /dev/ttyACM0 as a modem with system-config-network
when you plug in the phone via a usb cable.

Please not however that currently only F-7 and F-8 get security updates

Dennis