Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

Default Alternative to Apple's TimeCapsule for Linux?

On 19/10/11 10:04, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> Hi There, today I was watching some videos and reading some information
> about the Apple's Time Capsule, wich simply is an external HDD with some
> ethernet and USB ports behind but the most important WiFi support....
>
> In a few words it's a router with a 2TB HDD inside XD...
> The prupouse of this thing is function as a mini-server
> to backup you macs with a software called time machine,
> share printers within the net and all that fun stuff...
>
> Deja-Dup does what Time Machine Does, but I was wondering
> what kind of device can replace the Apple's Time Capsule and
> be fully compatible with Linux?
>
> As far as I investigated, there are only 3 devices of this type:
>
> - Apple Time Capsule - http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/
>
> - ClickFree Wireless - http://www.clickfree.com/products_c3.php
>
> - LaCie Wireless Space - http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10520
>
> Does anyone of you have experience using one of these devices on Linux?
>
> or if not,
>
> Wich device is a good alternative if I want functionallity like this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Manuel Escudero
> Linux User #509052
> Twitter: @Jmlevick <http://twitter.com/Jmlevick>
> Blogger: Blog Xenode <http://xenodesystems.blogspot.com/>
> PGP/GnuPG: E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15 8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7
> Xenode Systems - xenodesystems.com
> <http://www.xenodesystems.com/> - "Conéctate a Tu Mundo"

I have achieved much, if not all that functionality with a wireless
router and a ReadyNAS Duo. The best part is the 2 HDDs in the ReadyNAS
are in a Raid configuration providing even better backup security. OK,
it's not as simple as a MAC, but that's part of the joy of using Linux,
learning how to configure things yourself. So I know that my wireless
LAN is secured with AES encryption and access restrictions using secure
passwords, (I don't even remember them), which are held in a local kwallet.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi,

I think your companion is called Sparkleshare.

Check it out, http://sparkleshare.org/

HTH,

Zoltan

2011/10/19 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com>:
> On 19/10/11 10:04, Manuel Escudero wrote:
>> Hi There, today I was watching some videos and reading some information
>> about the Apple's Time Capsule, wich simply is an external HDD with some
>> ethernet and USB ports behind but the most important WiFi support....
>>
>> In a few words it's a router with a 2TB HDD inside XD...
>> The prupouse of this thing is function as a mini-server
>> to backup you macs with a software called time machine,
>> share printers within the net and all that fun stuff...
>>
>> Deja-Dup does what Time Machine Does, but I was wondering
>> what kind of device can replace the Apple's Time Capsule and
>> be fully compatible with Linux?
>>
>> As far as I investigated, there are only 3 devices of this type:
>>
>> - Apple Time Capsule - http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/
>>
>> - ClickFree Wireless - http://www.clickfree.com/products_c3.php
>>
>> - LaCie Wireless Space - http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10520
>>
>> Does anyone of you have experience using one of these devices on Linux?
>>
>> or if not,
>>
>> Wich device is a good alternative if I want functionallity like this?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Manuel Escudero
>> Linux User #509052
>> Twitter: @Jmlevick <http://twitter.com/Jmlevick>
>> Blogger: Blog Xenode <http://xenodesystems.blogspot.com/>
>> PGP/GnuPG: E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15 *8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7
>> Xenode Systems - xenodesystems.com
>> <http://www.xenodesystems.com/> - "Conéctate a Tu Mundo"
>>

> I have achieved much, if not all that functionality with a wireless
> router and a ReadyNAS Duo. The best part is the 2 HDDs in the ReadyNAS
> are in a Raid configuration providing even better backup security. OK,
> it's not as simple as a MAC, but that's part of the joy of using Linux,
> learning how to configure things yourself. So I know that my wireless
> LAN is secured with AES encryption and access restrictions using secure
> passwords, (I don't even remember them), which are held in a local kwallet.

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 10-21-2011, 02:59 AM
Manuel Escudero

I think your companion is called Sparkleshare.

Check it out, http://sparkleshare.org/

HTH,

Zoltan

2011/10/19 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 <n2xssvv.g02gfr12930@ntlworld.com>:

> On 19/10/11 10:04, Manuel Escudero wrote:

>> Hi There, today I was watching some videos and reading some information

>> about the Apple's Time Capsule, wich simply is an external HDD with some

>> ethernet and USB ports behind but the most important WiFi support....

>> In a few words it's a router with a 2TB HDD inside XD...

>> The prupouse of this thing is function as a mini-server

>> to backup you macs with a software called time machine,

>> share printers within the net and all that fun stuff...

>> Deja-Dup does what Time Machine Does, but I was wondering

>> what kind of device can replace the Apple's Time Capsule and

>> be fully compatible with Linux?

>> As far as I investigated, there are only 3 devices of this type:

>> - Apple Time Capsule - http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/

>> - ClickFree Wireless - http://www.clickfree.com/products_c3.php

>> - LaCie Wireless Space - http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10520

>> Does anyone of you have experience using one of these devices on Linux?

>> or if not,

>> Wich device is a good alternative if I want functionallity like this?

>> Thanks!

>> --

>> Manuel Escudero

>> Linux User #509052

>> Twitter: @Jmlevick <http://twitter.com/Jmlevick>

>> Blogger: Blog Xenode <http://xenodesystems.blogspot.com/>

>> PGP/GnuPG: E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15 *8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7

>> Xenode Systems - xenodesystems.com

>> <http://www.xenodesystems.com/> - "Conéctate a Tu Mundo"

> I have achieved much, if not all that functionality with a wireless

> router and a ReadyNAS Duo. The best part is the 2 HDDs in the ReadyNAS

> are in a Raid configuration providing even better backup security. OK,

> it's not as simple as a MAC, but that's part of the joy of using Linux,

> learning how to configure things yourself. So I know that my wireless

> LAN is secured with AES encryption and access restrictions using secure

> passwords, (I don't even remember them), which are held in a local kwallet.

PGP:* 06853DF7

@Zoltan: Sparkleshare just has "in-cloud" storage, I need Physicalstorage too... (if I wasn't I'll use "SpiderOak") I need an external HDDWith Wi-Fi support that fits well with Linux. Don't need software (There's Deja-Dup)

I need Hardware But Thanks.
--
Manuel EscuderoLinux User #509052
Twitter:*@Jmlevick
Blogger:*Blog*Xenode

PGP/GnuPG:*E2F5 12FA E1C3 FA58 CF15 *8481 B77B 00CA C1E1 0FA7Xenode Systems -*xenodesystems.com*-*"Conéctate a Tu Mundo"

Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 21:59 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
> I need an external HDD. With Wi-Fi support that fits well with Linux.
> Don't need software (There's Deja-Dup).

(You mean a NAS, not a HDD.) Basically any of the commercial offerings
will work as long as they support NFS or rsync, which most of them do. I
use an Iomega ix2. The Iomega software is unusable, but the hardware is
basically sound and runs Linux, so I just backup with rsnapshot.
Unfortunately Iomega has seen fit to prevent you from logging into the
machine, so I can't really recommend it, but there are competing
products without this restriction.

I would strongly recommend using RAID however. One of the disks on my
unit failed and RAID saved the day. I just replaced the disk with an
off-the-shelf Western Digital unit (the built-in ones are Seagate) and
it rebuilt itself with no loss of data.

Make sure that the unit can run at least at 100Mbps, and if possible can
use jumbo frames, but that will depend on your router. Since you mention
wireless, go for 802.11N, but really you're better with a cable if it's
practical.

poc

Old 10-21-2011, 09:10 AM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 21/10/11 04:40, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-20 at 21:59 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:
>> I need an external HDD. With Wi-Fi support that fits well with Linux.
>> Don't need software (There's Deja-Dup).
>
> (You mean a NAS, not a HDD.) Basically any of the commercial offerings
> will work as long as they support NFS or rsync, which most of them do. I
> use an Iomega ix2. The Iomega software is unusable, but the hardware is
> basically sound and runs Linux, so I just backup with rsnapshot.
> Unfortunately Iomega has seen fit to prevent you from logging into the
> machine, so I can't really recommend it, but there are competing
> products without this restriction.
>
> I would strongly recommend using RAID however. One of the disks on my
> unit failed and RAID saved the day. I just replaced the disk with an
> off-the-shelf Western Digital unit (the built-in ones are Seagate) and
> it rebuilt itself with no loss of data.
>
> Make sure that the unit can run at least at 100Mbps, and if possible can
> use jumbo frames, but that will depend on your router. Since you mention
> wireless, go for 802.11N, but really you're better with a cable if it's
> practical.
>
> poc

Well ReadyNAS Duo covers all of those points and more, and the advice is
good. If you want to check the capabilities of possible NAS drives, I'd
recommend you download the manuals.

HTH

cpp4ever