Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Clemens Eisserer

Default Is it save to mount / with noatime?

Hi,

Is it save to mount "/" with the noatime flag, or are there still
packages which depend on an accurate access time?
My system is a desktop running xfce, so no weird mail-servers

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Alan Cox

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:55:28 +0200
Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it save to mount "/" with the noatime flag, or are there still
> packages which depend on an accurate access time?

Current kernels support a much better algorithm anyway. Look up 'relatime'

Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Alan Cox

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi Alan,

>> Is it save to mount "/" with the noatime flag, or are there still
>> packages which depend on an accurate access time?
>
> Current kernels support a much better algorithm anyway. Look up 'relatime'

Thanks for the hint, relatime seems to be what I was looking for.

- Clemens

Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Misha Shnurapet

19.10.2011, 18:43, "Alan Cox" <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:55:28 +0200
> Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> *Hi,
>>
>> *Is it save to mount "/" with the noatime flag, or are there still
>> *packages which depend on an accurate access time?
>
> Current kernels support a much better algorithm anyway. Look up 'relatime'

And what about "nodiratime"?

--
Best regards,
Email: shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org, IRC: misha on freenode

Old 10-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Stephen Gallagher

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 10:43 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:55:28 +0200
> Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it save to mount "/" with the noatime flag, or are there still
> > packages which depend on an accurate access time?
>
> Current kernels support a much better algorithm anyway. Look up 'relatime'

relatime isn't much of a help though if you're looking to reduce writes
on a solid-state disk. I'm not sure if that was the original intent of
the question, but I think it's certainly worth answering.

I've been using noatime for a while with no obvious ill effects, but
your mileage may vary.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:45 PM
Reindl Harald

i am using "data=writeback,noatime,nodiratime" since 2006 on
all of my machines for all partitions on all servers and
workstations with the following services and WITHOUT selinux

* httpd
* dbmail
* postfix
* dovecot
* mysqld
* ntpd
* netatalk
* samba
* named
* dhcpd
* pure-ftpd

Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM
JB

Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is it save to mount "/" with the noatime flag, or are there still
> packages which depend on an accurate access time?
> My system is a desktop running xfce, so no weird mail-servers
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens

Unfortunately there are apps that may act incorrectly, either with noatime or
relatime.
Possible examples: procmail, mutt, mailx, perhaps few more known and unknown
yet (incl. sysadmin commands).

So, it is your call.

JB

Old 10-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 19.10.2011, JB wrote:

> Unfortunately there are apps that may act incorrectly, either with noatime or
> relatime. Possible examples: procmail, mutt, mailx, perhaps few more known and unknown
> yet (incl. sysadmin commands).

I'm using "noatime" exclusively, and have been using it a long long
time. I did only see one program misbehaving in all these years,
that's mutt. It uses atime to determine when a mailfolder was last
accessed. With noatime, the timestamp will simply not be updated.
There are a lot of workarounds out there, so that isn't really a big
deal.

Here's what Linus says on noatime:
http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148

Old 10-19-2011, 05:16 PM
JB

Heinz Diehl <htd <at> fritha.org> writes:

> Here's what Linus says on noatime:
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/14148

There is an interesting comment by Alan Cox:
"...
> /dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr)
Ext3 currently is a standards compliant file system. Turn off atime and its
very non standards compliant, turn to relatime and its not standards compliant
but nobody will break (which is good)
..."

I assume he was talking POSIX ? Standards (file systems) test suites ?
Btw, is that comment still valid, and also for ext4 ?
Is braking standards good ? :-)

JB