Old 10-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Brian Mury

Default Serial port permissions -

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 19:13 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> No GPS. An old Kenwood TS440S, has antenna tuner but no external
> digital control. It also has AFSK in and out, as well as a DIN
> connector with everything at one point, date, ptt, mic. mute,
> etc. I plan to use that.

Ok, so you won't be trying to get computer control working then - just
PTT. That keeps things a bit simpler.

> I would hesitate to send image files to the list, can send to
> your address?

Certainly (but you might want to try my settings below first).

> So /dev/ttyS0 looks good to me ...

I'd say so.

> That would probably be an imposition on your time but would
> provide assurance that the function works.

No imposition. It's already done. I got home a bit earlier than I
expected, so I had a bit of free time before leaving for this evening's
meeting. It works as expected for me - toggling T/R switches DTR/RTS
from -12V to +12 V and back. Here's my settings:

Hardware PTT tab:
- PTT tone on right audio channel unchecked
- Use separate serial port PTT checked
- Use parallel port PTT unchecked
- Device: /dev/ttyS6 (this would be ttyS0 for you)
- Use RTS and Use DTR both checked
- The two "+V" checkboxes were unchecked but it should work either way -
they just invert the logic

RigCAT tab:
- Use RigCAT unchecked
- everything else set to defaults - I assume it's ignored since it's set
to not use RigCAT

Hamlib tab:
- Use Hamlib unchecked (I normally have this checked but turned it off
for the test)
- everything else set for my Elecraft K2 - but again I assume it's
ignored when Hamlib is turned off

MemMap/XML-RPC tabs:
- everything unchecked

You'll need to click the "Initialize" button after making changes (or
save the configuration and restart fldigi just to be sure).

> Additionally I have yet to see transmit audio from the computer
> while running FLDigi, I do get it from psk31lx. I have not had
> keying signals from psk31lx either but have not devoted much
> time to investigating that, it may be a configuration problem
> and I haven't found much documentation in that area.

Do you have fldigi set to use PulseAudio, or something else? Both
PulseAudio and PortAudio works for me. OSS doesn't (but that doesn't
surprise me).

Also check your mixer levels, both in fldigi and in pulseaudio.

Brian

Old 10-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Brian Mury

On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 00:05 +0000, g wrote:
> i am formerly, WB4OYI, Whiskey Be for Old Yellow Indian. it took me
> less than 10 minutes to come up with that one. 8-)

Nice to meet you! I'm VE7NGR - No Good Radio ;-).

> i would have continued with ham radio, where it not for a 'lid'
> stealing my code tapes.
> i 'pinned' his coax in several places, but it did not take out his

Wow - I can't imagine quitting the hobby because someone didn't return a
set of tapes I'd loaned out! I also don't condone actions like pinning
coax, but that's all I'll say on the topic, I'll keep my comments
constructive.

> and upgrade. if i ever run across such tapes again, i will buy a full
> set. a cd would be even better now.

Are you aware that the code requirements have been removed?

If you do want to practice, there are both CD images and MP3 files
online that can be downloaded for free. There are also a number of
programs that can be used to generate your own audio files, or even to
send code directly from the computer in real time.

I can dig up some links if you are interested.

Brian

Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 18/10/11 20:35, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 19:13 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> No GPS. An old Kenwood TS440S, has antenna tuner but no external
>> digital control. It also has AFSK in and out, as well as a DIN
>> connector with everything at one point, date, ptt, mic. mute,
>> etc. I plan to use that.
> Ok, so you won't be trying to get computer control working then - just
> PTT. That keeps things a bit simpler.
>
>> I would hesitate to send image files to the list, can send to
>> your address?
> Certainly (but you might want to try my settings below first).
>
>> So /dev/ttyS0 looks good to me ...
> I'd say so.
>
>> That would probably be an imposition on your time but would
>> provide assurance that the function works.
> No imposition. It's already done. I got home a bit earlier than I
> expected, so I had a bit of free time before leaving for this evening's
> meeting. It works as expected for me - toggling T/R switches DTR/RTS
> from -12V to +12 V and back. Here's my settings:
>
> Hardware PTT tab:
> - PTT tone on right audio channel unchecked
> - Use separate serial port PTT checked
> - Use parallel port PTT unchecked
> - Device: /dev/ttyS6 (this would be ttyS0 for you)
> - Use RTS and Use DTR both checked
> - The two "+V" checkboxes were unchecked but it should work either way -
> they just invert the logic
>
> RigCAT tab:
> - Use RigCAT unchecked
> - everything else set to defaults - I assume it's ignored since it's set
> to not use RigCAT
>
> Hamlib tab:
> - Use Hamlib unchecked (I normally have this checked but turned it off
> for the test)
> - everything else set for my Elecraft K2 - but again I assume it's
> ignored when Hamlib is turned off
>
> MemMap/XML-RPC tabs:
> - everything unchecked
>
> You'll need to click the "Initialize" button after making changes (or
> save the configuration and restart fldigi just to be sure).
>
>> Additionally I have yet to see transmit audio from the computer
>> while running FLDigi, I do get it from psk31lx. I have not had
>> keying signals from psk31lx either but have not devoted much
>> time to investigating that, it may be a configuration problem
>> and I haven't found much documentation in that area.
> Do you have fldigi set to use PulseAudio, or something else? Both
> PulseAudio and PortAudio works for me. OSS doesn't (but that doesn't
> surprise me).
>
> Also check your mixer levels, both in fldigi and in pulseaudio.
>
> Brian

Ok, I made those settings on the second computer, the Dell, and
the signals toggle just as you said. The only thing I did
differently this time was to "click" on <Initialize> on all
three screens. Whatever the reason it is working and I can
proceed with the transmit audio. I'll have to make a switch for
ptt. I should have the required DIN connector in a few days,
it's in the mail.

Next to do the same to this computer, it should work the same.

It's set to use Pulseaudio and I've been setting audio levels
with "Pulse Audio Volume Control."

Thanks much for the help and encouragement.

Bob

Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Brian Mury

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 21:00 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Ok, I made those settings on the second computer, the Dell, and
> the signals toggle just as you said.

Great!

> It's set to use Pulseaudio and I've been setting audio levels
> with "Pulse Audio Volume Control."

Ok, in that window, look at the Playback tab. Do you see fldigi listed
there? It'll only show up when fldigi is running.

If you do see it, look just below the fldigi sliders (I have two - Front
Left and Front Right). There is a horizontal level meter that will be
grey. Put fldigi into transmit mode. Does the bar turn blue?

> Thanks much for the help and encouragement.

You are more than welcome, Bob. I haven't been spending much time on the
radio lately, and this is making me want to get going again! :-)

Gotta run, ham radio club meeting in half an hour! :-)

Brian

Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 AM

On 10/19/2011 12:57 AM, Brian Mury wrote:
<>

> Nice to meet you! I'm VE7NGR - No Good Radio ;-).

you also.

> Wow - I can't imagine quitting the hobby because someone didn't return a
> set of tapes I'd loaned out!

it was not just the loss of the tapes and my trouble of learning code.
there were other factors. but i will not go into them. too many bad
memories connected to whole ordeal because of someone envolved telling
me to loan tapes or else.

> I also don't condone actions like pinning coax, but that's all I'll
> say on the topic, I'll keep my comments constructive.

i did feel a little bad about it 3rd time because i realized that i was
lowering myself to his level. besides, it was not doing any good. ;-)

> Are you aware that the code requirements have been removed?

!no way!. i never thought that would happen. i was totally unaware.
yet, with way computers have moved in, i can understand dropping of
code.

looks like i will have to get some new books and start reading up on
what is now happening in theory and regulations. thanks for that info.

> If you do want to practice, there are both CD images and MP3 files
> online that can be downloaded for free. There are also a number of
> programs that can be used to generate your own audio files, or even
> to send code directly from the computer in real time.
>
> I can dig up some links if you are interested.

i guess i have stayed out of it for too long to know all the new that
has been happening.

as for links for code, when you can get to them. my address is good.

what would really help is if you have some good links for theory.
basic theory really does not change, it just improves and adjusts with
the times.

thanks again for updating me.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text". "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 10:13 -0700, Brian Mury wrote:
> You should see +12 volts or -12 volts (actually anything between 3 and
> 15 meets the spec, but you'll usually see somewhere around 12).
> Negative voltages are high, positive voltages are low,

Other way around... A high (digital 1) is a positive voltage, a low
(digital 0) is a lower or negative voltage (i.e. less than the 1's
voltage, whether it be zero or below zero).

All digital logic is this way. There are cases where the low signal is
the active state (i.e. a 0 is true and 1 is false), called "negative
logic," or "active low," but it's still a case of 1's voltage is greater
than 0's. It's the meaning of 0 and 1 that's inverted.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Tim

Brian Mury:
>> You should see +12 volts or -12 volts (actually anything between 3
>> and 15 meets the spec, but you'll usually see somewhere around 12).
>> Negative voltages are high, positive voltages are low,

Tim:
> Other way around... A high (digital 1) is a positive voltage, a low
> (digital 0) is a lower or negative voltage (i.e. less than the 1's
> voltage, whether it be zero or below zero).
>
> All digital logic is this way. There are cases where the low signal
> is the active state (i.e. a 0 is true and 1 is false), called
> "negative logic," or "active low," but it's still a case of 1's
> voltage is greater than 0's. It's the meaning of 0 and 1 that's
> inverted.

Scratch that... Serial *data* lines are backwards.

Gawd I hate negative logic.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 18/10/11 21:28, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 21:00 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Ok, I made those settings on the second computer, the Dell, and
>> the signals toggle just as you said.
> Great!
>
>> It's set to use Pulseaudio and I've been setting audio levels
>> with "Pulse Audio Volume Control."
> Ok, in that window, look at the Playback tab. Do you see fldigi listed
> there? It'll only show up when fldigi is running.
>
> If you do see it, look just below the fldigi sliders (I have two - Front
> Left and Front Right). There is a horizontal level meter that will be
> grey. Put fldigi into transmit mode. Does the bar turn blue?

Yes it does.

I have a macro, "This is a test transmission from W2BOD." I sent
that on a clear frequency keying manually and immediately got a
QRL de SP7WIT. I expect this will work once I get it assembled
in a manageable form. Tnx Bob.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 19/10/11 09:30, Tim wrote:
> Brian Mury:
>>> You should see +12 volts or -12 volts (actually anything between 3
>>> and 15 meets the spec, but you'll usually see somewhere around 12).
>>> Negative voltages are high, positive voltages are low,
> Tim:
>> Other way around... A high (digital 1) is a positive voltage, a low
>> (digital 0) is a lower or negative voltage (i.e. less than the 1's
>> voltage, whether it be zero or below zero).
>>
>> All digital logic is this way. There are cases where the low signal
>> is the active state (i.e. a 0 is true and 1 is false), called
>> "negative logic," or "active low," but it's still a case of 1's
>> voltage is greater than 0's. It's the meaning of 0 and 1 that's
>> inverted.
> Scratch that... Serial *data* lines are backwards.
>
> Gawd I hate negative logic.

Well if nothing else you have stimulated our thought processes!
That's good.

Bob