Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Reindl Harald

Default Yep, names like p4p1 ... where is the problem?

Am 16.10.2011 03:53, schrieb Robert Myers:
> What chance is there that such feedback would have any influence
> whatsoever on a "major change" already decreed from on high? This
> discussion is pointless. If you're going to argue endlessly about why
> changing "eth0" to "p4p1" would be a major inconvenience to almost all
> end users, there is very little point in discussing the matter

but where is the problem to open /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
and name it like you want? if you have 8 network-cards as we do in our
servers it is a little easier now to find out who is who and after
that they are renamed to eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3....

Old 10-17-2011, 11:54 PM
jdow

On 2011/10/16 02:33, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 16.10.2011 03:53, schrieb Robert Myers:
>> What chance is there that such feedback would have any influence
>> whatsoever on a "major change" already decreed from on high? This
>> discussion is pointless. If you're going to argue endlessly about why
>> changing "eth0" to "p4p1" would be a major inconvenience to almost all
>> end users, there is very little point in discussing the matter
>
> but where is the problem to open /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> and name it like you want? if you have 8 network-cards as we do in our
> servers it is a little easier now to find out who is who and after
> that they are renamed to eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3....

Seems new doggies have to prove they are big doggies by peeing on the
old dogs' work. "eth0" makes sense. "p4pl" sounds like an amateur radio
call sign from Aruba. It tells you nothing about the interface you're
dealing with. 'ix operating systems are already hard enough to use well.
Is there something hairy chested manly about making it worse rather than
better?

{^_^}