-   -   how to bind single interface with more than one cpu (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/588605-how-bind-single-interface-more-than-one-cpu.html)

Benjamin 10-17-2011 02:26 PM

how to bind single interface with more than one cpu

Hi,

We have one server which i having 4 CPU core.So in that i want to bind 2
CPU with one LAN interface for high network performance.

i tried to set smp_afinity , i can change irq of interface on different
cpus but i can't bind it with 2 cpus.

How to do it?

Regards,
Benjamin

Mike Wohlgemuth 10-19-2011 03:24 PM

On 10/19/2011 11:15 AM, Benjamin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using fedora 15 for application server.That applicaton is very
> loaded in network and we have good h/w which having 4 core cpu and
> currently 1 lan interface are using.So now i want to bind that interface
> with more than one cpu to gain more performance and more throughput.
>
> I tried to do it by smp_afinity, but i can't. so i need advice and help.
> Is there anything required from kernel side.? any parameter or any thing
> which need to enable in kernel.?

When you say you tried to do it by smp_afinity, what exactly did you do?

Mike

Michael Cronenworth 10-19-2011 04:03 PM

Benjamin wrote:
> I am using fedora 15 for application server.That applicaton is very
> loaded in network and we have good h/w which having 4 core cpu and
> currently 1 lan interface are using.So now i want to bind that interface
> with more than one cpu to gain more performance and more throughput.
>
> I tried to do it by smp_afinity, but i can't. so i need advice and help.
> Is there anything required from kernel side.? any parameter or any thing
> which need to enable in kernel.?

The kernel will automatically load balance interrupts. There is no need
to configure the affinity of your interrupts by hand.

Benjamin 10-19-2011 05:55 PM

how to bind single interface with more than one cpu

Hi,

I found that for irq distribution across multiple cpus CONFIG_IRQBALANCE
must enabled in kernel.so i tried to check in my existing kernel but i m
not getting it in config-2.6.40.6 so i downloaded 3.0.4 but when i m
going to compile it , i try to find irqbalance optionn in menuconfig.
But not getting such option.

So please tell me from which option or module , i will be having
irqbalance enabled in my kernel.?

Thanks,
Benjamin