Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Dave Cross

Default Turning Off GNOME Warnings

GNOME seems to think that my laptop has a dodgy hard disk. It's been
telling me that for over a year. I'm not sure that it's correct, but
I'm keeping a close eye on the situation anyway.

Under GNOME 2 I would get a notification of this problem each time I
restarted the computer. A pop-up would tell me there was a problem and
I'd close the pop-up and forget about it.

Under GNOME 3 this notification is rather more persistent. GNOME
insists on repeating the pop-up every twenty minutes or so. This isn't
realyl very helpful.

Is there any way to get GNOME to revert to the previous behaviour
where I'm only told about a problem once?

Cheers,

Dave...

--
Dave Cross :: dave@dave.org.uk
http://dave.org.uk/

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Alan Cox

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:22:27 +0100
Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:

> GNOME seems to think that my laptop has a dodgy hard disk. It's been
> telling me that for over a year. I'm not sure that it's correct

Red Hat seems to like to ship tools with the slightly questionable view
that a disk reporting plenty of bad blocks is 'failing' when in fact what
actually matters is whether the lists are growing and what the drive
smart data reports.

hdparm can give you a much more honest appraisal of your disk, and
usually modern BIOSes check whether the drive thinks it is failing on
boot (make sure SMART is enabled in the BIOS)

Alan

Old 10-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Richard Hughes

On 17 October 2011 11:22, Dave Cross <davorg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Under GNOME 3 this notification is rather more persistent. GNOME
> insists on repeating the pop-up every twenty minutes or so. This isn't
> realyl very helpful.

Run palimpset, click the disk, click "SMART data", then tick "Don't
warn me if the disk is failing"

Richard.