Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Emilio Lopez

Default imac on lan, printing to f14: network host '192.168.2.8' is busy, will retry in 30 seconds

It sounds like port 631 is closed in Fedora Firewall. Did you check that?

You should see cups admin page at http:your-fedora-ip:631

emiliollbb

Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
jackson byers

>Re: imac on lan, printing to f14: network host '192.168.2.8' is busy, will retry in 30 seconds
>It sounds like port 631 is closed in Fedora Firewall. Did you check that?

>You should see cups admin page at http:your-fedora-ip:631

>emiliollbb

On my f14, I did 'system-config-firewall'
and checked
Network Printing Server (IPP)

now I get a different response when trying to print from the iMac

initially it acts like it is starting, but then goes into 'paused' state
I can click on resume printing, it again seems to start,
but immediately again goes into 'paused', and I can't break out of this cycle.

I do have the 'sharing' and 'internet' boxes checked on the admin page.

Jack

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM
jackson byers

Tim responded
>On the CUPS server computer, the firewall must be opened to allow
>network printing service. This allows UDP and TCP traffic over port
>631, over your network interface. Fedora has a preset option for this
>in its firewall control panel.

On my f14 I ran 'system-config-firewall' and checked the IPP box,
Network Printing Server (IPP)

as I responded to emilio, I am now stuck on 'paused printing'.
I guess this is better than 'busy'............

>On any of the client computers, the firewall must be opened to allow
>network printing clients. This allows UDP traffic over port 631.
>Fedora has a preset option for this in its firewall control panel.

uhh, my iMac is the client trying to print to a printer on the f14 server.
So my iMac doesnt have network printing clients, the iMac is the client.
Are you saying that in this case
my iMac needs 'firewall opened to allow network printing clients'?

>The CUPS clients shouldn't need any configuring of their CUPS service,
>and attempting to do so can cause problems. They should simply find the
>available printers on the network, when the above three conditions are
>set up.

My previous rececent experience [on my older version of
f14(preupgrade from f12)]
says I _do_ need to do some configuring of CUPS on the iMac:
(shown to me by Ted Roche on this list):
need on iMac for 'cupsctl BrowseRemoteProtocols=cups';
without that, the iMac then couldn't even see the f14 printer.

thanks for your response

Jack

Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Emilio Lopez

> initially it acts like it is starting, but then goes into 'paused' state

can you see your printing job in http://your-fedora-ip:631 ?? There
are a tab where you can browse pending printing jobs.

Did you tried to print a test-page in cups administration
(http://your-fedora-ip:631). I'm almost sure there is an option to
print a test page. If it isn't, you can try to print local from
fedora, to discard printer configuration and focus in sharing printer
issues.

emiliollbb