-   -   HELP!!! System messed up! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/588456-help-system-messed-up.html)

Mike Chambers 10-17-2011 04:50 AM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 00:28 -0400, D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
> You might just completely remove Xorg and then completely reinstall it
> to fix your xorg.conf issue.

What xorg.conf issue? The *way* Fedora/X Org works now is you DON"T
need the .conf file anymore. It's suppose to just work. Not sure of
his problem, but he shouldn't need an xorg.conf file to fix it.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

John Aldrich 10-17-2011 04:57 AM

HELP!!! System messed up!

Quoting "D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr." <forum@lemcoe.com>:

> You might just completely remove Xorg and then completely reinstall it
> to fix your xorg.conf issue.

So you think I ought to try "yum remove Xorg" and let it go? Will that
mess up any of my personal settings or will those likely not be touched?

suvayu ali 10-17-2011 07:25 AM

HELP!!! System messed up!

Because the OP said he has an xorg.conf file. :)

--
Suvayu

suvayu ali 10-17-2011 07:32 AM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:57 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Quoting "D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr." <forum@lemcoe.com>:
>
>> You might just completely remove Xorg and then completely reinstall it
>> to fix your xorg.conf issue.
>>
> So you think I ought to try "yum remove Xorg" and let it go? Will that
> mess up any of my personal settings or will those likely not be touched?

Please don't do that, I would thing that would cause you a whole lot
of more troubles. I would first try to boot by removing the old
xorg.conf out of the way (I'm assuming you use xorg.conf since you
mention nvidia-xconfig). Xorg these days doesn't need an xorg.conf, so
might as well start with that. Also have you run fsck on your disk? As
root `touch /forcefsck` and reboot to do that.

Hopefully that gets you started.

--
Suvayu

Tim 10-17-2011 08:22 AM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 00:26 -0400, John Aldrich wrote:
> If I have an xorg.conf file it REALLY hoses the system and I don't get
> ANY graphics whatsoever and I have to rely on SSH-ing into the box to
> init 3, delete the xorg.conf and restart x, at which time it's
> somewhat normal.

Usually, you can CTRL+ALT+F2 (or one of the other F keys), over to a
text console, on the same computer, to use the command line. If that
works, then it saves you a bit of hassle to work through this problem.
Though, it can happen that the graphics system gets so screwed up you
will have to SSH in.

You should probably post the xorg.conf file for some other people to
look for anything wrong with it.

The other suggestion of removing and reinstalling X is usually bad
advice. If there's a problem with the package, you'll be back at square
one. The re-install will fail, just the same.

Likewise, if the package is fine, but a configuration file isn't. Most
configuration files that are not provided directly in the package, such
as ones created later on, or ones that were modified, will not be
removed during a package removal. A re-install will use the same
configuration file.

If you think the installation of a package is broken, you can check for
that using the rpm tools own verification options.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

John Aldrich 10-17-2011 01:09 PM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon October 17 2011, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 00:28 -0400, D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr. wrote:
> > You might just completely remove Xorg and then completely reinstall it
> > to fix your xorg.conf issue.
>
> What xorg.conf issue? The *way* Fedora/X Org works now is you DON"T
> need the .conf file anymore. It's suppose to just work. Not sure of
> his problem, but he shouldn't need an xorg.conf file to fix it.

Right... if I go into "systemsettings" and try and specify any of the
settings, it creates an xorg.conf file which pretty much messes everything
up... no X, etc.
What happened was I'm on a KVM, and I let the system boot up while the KVM
was switched to another computer. As usually happens the screen was HUGE! I
tried rebooting, I tried specifying the settings, nothing worked. Now my
best resolution is 1024x768 and I need to go to 1280x1024.
Any time I try and specify any settings in systemsettings, it messes things
up as mentioned, so I'm at a loss.
Any suggestions?

John Aldrich 10-17-2011 03:17 PM

HELP!!! System messed up!

Ok... I have switched from noveau driver to the nVidia driver. That helps.
Except I use XFCE4 as my window manager and the main bar at the top of
every window is missing on the local console. HOWEVER, it works fine in VNC.
I don't understand why, since both the local console and the VNC session
use xfce4 as the window manager.
How do I figure out WHY VNC works but not local console?

Robert Myers 10-17-2011 03:42 PM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:17 AM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ok... I have switched from noveau driver to the nVidia driver. That helps.
> Except I use XFCE4 as my window manager and the main bar at the top of
> every window is missing on the local console. HOWEVER, it works fine in VNC.
> I don't understand why, since both the local console and the VNC session
> use xfce4 as the window manager.
> How do I figure out WHY VNC works but not local console?

VNC apparently correctly anticipates what's on the other end. Your
system is confused about either your video card or the monitor for
your console. Were it me, I'd be plugging in other video cards and/or
monitors just to see what happens. I would also take seriously the
possibility that part of your disk is trashed.

Robert.

John Aldrich 10-17-2011 05:18 PM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon October 17 2011, Robert Myers wrote:

> VNC apparently correctly anticipates what's on the other end. Your
> system is confused about either your video card or the monitor for
> your console. Were it me, I'd be plugging in other video cards and/or
> monitors just to see what happens. I would also take seriously the
> possibility that part of your disk is trashed.

Could be part of my disk is trashed. I logged into Gnome as a test (didn't
like the lack of desktop icons, another reason I don't use KDE any more!)
and got notification of a hard drive error. I'm working on getting a new
hard drive, so hopefully I'll be up and running 100% in a few days. Might
have to do a refresh install of xfce4 or something and see if that helps.

suvayu ali 10-17-2011 06:41 PM

HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 7:18 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Could be part of my disk is trashed. I logged into Gnome as a test (didn't
> like the lack of desktop icons, another reason I don't use KDE any more!)
> and got notification of a hard drive error. I'm working on getting a new
> hard drive, so hopefully I'll be up and running 100% in a few days. Might
> have to do a refresh install of xfce4 or something and see if that helps.

If you want to salvage your data, I would recommend ddrescue. It
worked wonderfully for me.

--
Suvayu