Old 10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
John Aldrich

Default HELP!!! System messed up!

On Mon October 17 2011, suvayu ali wrote:

> If you want to salvage your data, I would recommend ddrescue. It
> worked wonderfully for me.

Thanks. It's not that bad. Yet. I just know that SMARTD is apparently
telling me that the drive is failing. I don't have a replacement yet, but
hopefully I'll have one in the next day or so. Then I have to figure out how
to get the data to the new drive and make it the boot drive (my boot drive
is a small PATA drive and it's the one that is failing!)

Old 10-17-2011, 08:34 PM
John Aldrich

On Mon October 17 2011, Tim wrote:
> Usually, you can CTRL+ALT+F2 (or one of the other F keys), over to a
> text console, on the same computer, to use the command line. If that
> works, then it saves you a bit of hassle to work through this problem.
> Though, it can happen that the graphics system gets so screwed up you
> will have to SSH in.
>
> You should probably post the xorg.conf file for some other people to
> look for anything wrong with it.
>
> The other suggestion of removing and reinstalling X is usually bad
> advice. If there's a problem with the package, you'll be back at square
> one. The re-install will fail, just the same.
>
> Likewise, if the package is fine, but a configuration file isn't. Most
> configuration files that are not provided directly in the package, such
> as ones created later on, or ones that were modified, will not be
> removed during a package removal. A re-install will use the same
> configuration file.
>
> If you think the installation of a package is broken, you can check for
> that using the rpm tools own verification options.

yeah...things were b0rked so badly I couldn't CTL+ALT+F2. I did manage to
SSH in from another box on the LAN and went to runlevel 3, deleted the
config file and went back to runlevel 5. Switching to the nVidia driver
helped a LOT. I don't know the noveau driver was updated recently or not,
but something was definitely hosed. Also, the nVidia driver didn't fix it
100%. I'm still having issues with the keyboard and mouse not responding
100% in xfce4. I wish I knew where that config file was kept as I might try
renaming the config file and doing a repair install and see if that came with
a new config file. I did find some default settings files for xfce, but I don't
know if there is a per-user file somewhere that might be more important.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:33 PM
suvayu ali

Hi John,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM, John Aldrich <jmaldrich@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Mon October 17 2011, suvayu ali wrote:
>>
>> If you want to salvage your data, I would recommend ddrescue. It
>> worked wonderfully for me.
>>
> Thanks. It's not that bad. Yet. I just know that SMARTD is apparently
> telling me that the drive is failing. I don't have a replacement yet, but
> hopefully I'll have one in the next day or so. Then I have to figure out how
> to get the data to the new drive and make it the boot drive (my boot drive
> is a small PATA drive and it's the one that is failing!)

I don't mean to insist, but I had a similar problem and I was able to
replicate the old drive along with the partition table and LVM onto
the replacement drive using ddrescue. The procedure is documented in
this post.

<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/377186/focus=377478>

Just thought this might be an appropriate (and simple) way to tackle
your situation.

GL

--
Suvayu

Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 AM
John Aldrich

On Mon October 17 2011, suvayu ali wrote:

> I don't mean to insist, but I had a similar problem and I was able to
> replicate the old drive along with the partition table and LVM onto
> the replacement drive using ddrescue. The procedure is documented in
> this post.
>
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general/377186/focus=
> 377478>
>
> Just thought this might be an appropriate (and simple) way to tackle
> your situation.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. I've got several drives so I need to make
sure I know which one I'm copying from and to.