Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Colin Paul Adams

Default Firefox 7 on Fedora 14

Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
tarball installs?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 10-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 10/16/2011 11:10 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
> system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
> tarball installs?

You can use the REMI repo for the latest Firefox :

rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-14.rpm

After that you can run:
yum update firefox

I'm on Fedora 14 and that's what I've been using so far.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 10-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/16/2011 08:40 PM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
> system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
> tarball installs?

Refer to

http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/11/when-will-firefox-7-be-available-for-fedora?answer=59#59

Rahul

Old 10-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 21:15 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 08:40 PM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> > Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
> > system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
> > tarball installs?
>
> Refer to
>
> http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/11/when-will-firefox-7-be-available-for-fedora?answer=59#59
>
> Rahul

It is already available on F14. I am running it. That happened when I
opened Firefox and I was asked if I wanted to update to Firefox 7.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:21 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 10/16/2011 08:16 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 11:10 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
>> system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
>> tarball installs?
> You can use the REMI repo for the latest Firefox :
>
> rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-14.rpm
>
> After that you can run:
> yum update firefox
>
> I'm on Fedora 14 and that's what I've been using so far.
>
> HTH,
> Jorge
Ugh. I installed this for F13, and apparently, I needed
adobe support - the problem is, that adobe believes that
firefox is a ubuntu installation.

What can I do at this point?

Old 10-16-2011, 09:36 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

On 10/16/2011 02:21 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 08:16 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> On 10/16/2011 11:10 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>>> Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
>>> system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
>>> tarball installs?
>> You can use the REMI repo for the latest Firefox :
>>
>> rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-14.rpm
>>
>> After that you can run:
>> yum update firefox
>>
>> I'm on Fedora 14 and that's what I've been using so far.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jorge
> Ugh. I installed this for F13, and apparently, I needed
> adobe support - the problem is, that adobe believes that
> firefox is a ubuntu installation.
>
> What can I do at this point?
What I was trying to view is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0O30aFT7g&feature=email
... and FF says it needs a plugin which it cannot find.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 16.10.2011 23:36, schrieb Daniel B. Thurman:

On 10/16/2011 02:21 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

> On 10/16/2011 08:16 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> On 10/16/2011 11:10 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>>> Is it possible to have Firefox continually updated by rpm on a Fedora 14
>>> system, or do I have to choose between staying on Fedora 3 or using
>>> tarball installs?
>> You can use the REMI repo for the latest Firefox :
>>
>> rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-14.rpm
>>
>> After that you can run:
>> yum update firefox
>>
>> I'm on Fedora 14 and that's what I've been using so far.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jorge
> Ugh. I installed this for F13, and apparently, I needed
> adobe support - the problem is, that adobe believes that
> firefox is a ubuntu installation.
>
> What can I do at this point?
What I was trying to view is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0O30aFT7g&feature=email
... and FF says it needs a plugin which it cannot find

so why do you not install the adobe-repo and after that "yum install flash-plugin"
in the meantime there is even a x86_64 plugin and yes it works on F14 also as on F15

--

Mit besten Grüßen, Reindl Harald
the lounge interactive design GmbH

http://www.thelounge.net/signature.asc.what.htm

Old 10-16-2011, 09:54 PM
charles zeitler

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 08:16 AM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> On 10/16/2011 11:10 AM, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>>
> Ugh. *I installed this for F13, and apparently, I needed
> adobe support - the problem is, that adobe believes that
> firefox is a ubuntu installation.
>
> What can I do at this point?

the Free alternatives do not give
you sufficient support?

charles zeitler

--

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 10/16/2011 05:21 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> Ugh. I installed this for F13, and apparently, I needed
> adobe support - the problem is, that adobe believes that
> firefox is a ubuntu installation.

Hmmm try to remove that one as it was for Fedora 14:

rpm -e firefox
rpm -e remi-release-14

Try this one instead for F13:

rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-13.rpm

I also have the Adobe repo so I have the latest flash (version 11) which
is so far the best release from them in my opinion.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 10/16/2011 06:04 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> I also have the Adobe repo so I have the latest flash (version 11) which
> is so far the best release from them in my opinion.

Go here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

...and select Linux 32-bit or 64-bit and then choose the YUM option so
you can download the rpm that will create their YUM repo on your system.
Then you should get their updates as soon as they come.

Cheers,
Jorge