Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default Firefox 7 on Fedora 14

On 10/16/2011 03:08 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 06:04 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
>> I also have the Adobe repo so I have the latest flash (version 11) which
>> is so far the best release from them in my opinion.
> Go here:
>
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
>
> ...and select Linux 32-bit or 64-bit and then choose the YUM option so
> you can download the rpm that will create their YUM repo on your system.
> Then you should get their updates as soon as they come.
>
> Cheers,
> Jorge
I gave it a retry, and remi's FF7/xulrunner7 definitely does not work
for certain youtube/flash files, or so it seems.

This one does not work, for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0O30aFT7g&feature=email

So, I am going to revert back to the old FF 3.7.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:08 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
> I gave it a retry, and remi's FF7/xulrunner7 definitely does not work
> for certain youtube/flash files, or so it seems.
>
> This one does not work, for example:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0O30aFT7g&feature=email
>
> So, I am going to revert back to the old FF 3.7.

Works for me here.

# rpm -qa | grep -E 'firefox|flash|adobe|remi'
firefox-7.0.1-1.fc14.remi.x86_64
adobe-release-x86_64-1.0-1.noarch
remi-release-14-6.fc14.remi.noarch
xulrunner7-7.0.1-1.fc14.remi.x86_64
flash-plugin-11.0.1.152-release.x86_64

How did you install your flash? Did you use yum? These days adobe
provides yum repos for both 32 bit and 64 bit flash (as you can see
above).

--
Suvayu

Old 10-17-2011, 01:43 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/17/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> It is already available on F14. I am running it. That happened when I
> opened Firefox and I was asked if I wanted to update to Firefox 7.

Then, you aren't running the Fedora packaged version.

Rahul

Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-10-16 at 14:36 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 10/16/2011 02:21 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> >> You can use the REMI repo for the latest Firefox :
> >>
> >> rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-14.rpm
> >>
> >> After that you can run:
> >> yum update firefox
> >>
> >> I'm on Fedora 14 and that's what I've been using so far.
> >>
> >> HTH,
> >> Jorge
> > Ugh. I installed this for F13, and apparently, I needed
> > adobe support - the problem is, that adobe believes that
> > firefox is a ubuntu installation.
> >
> > What can I do at this point?
> What I was trying to view is:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK0O30aFT7g&feature=email
> ... and FF says it needs a plugin which it cannot find.

I can load that web site in Fedora 7 in F15.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

> On 10/17/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >
> > It is already available on F14. I am running it. That happened when I
> > opened Firefox and I was asked if I wanted to update to Firefox 7.
>
> Then, you aren't running the Fedora packaged version.
>
> Rahul

That is true. But I run what I can get. Does Fedora have a packaged
version for Firefox 7.
The latest version in F14 repos is: firefox-3.6.23-1.fc14.i686

Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Frank Murphy

On 17/10/11 02:43, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>
>> It is already available on F14. I am running it. That happened when I
>> opened Firefox and I was asked if I wanted to update to Firefox 7.
>
> Then, you aren't running the Fedora packaged version.
>
> Rahul

That happens even with the Fedora packaged version.
iirc "You are now running version x.xx,
we reccomend you upgrade to Firefox 7, the latest version.
I get that on my F14 vms'

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 10-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/17/2011 07:37 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-17 at 07:13 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 10/17/2011 01:52 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>>
>>> It is already available on F14. I am running it. That happened when I
>>> opened Firefox and I was asked if I wanted to update to Firefox 7.
>>
>> Then, you aren't running the Fedora packaged version.
>>
>> Rahul
>
> That is true. But I run what I can get. Does Fedora have a packaged
> version for Firefox 7.
> The latest version in F14 repos is: firefox-3.6.23-1.fc14.i686

I did post the answer in a link

Rahul

Old 10-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/17/2011 07:52 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:

> That happens even with the Fedora packaged version.
> iirc "You are now running version x.xx,
> we reccomend you upgrade to Firefox 7, the latest version.
> I get that on my F14 vms'

You aren't auto updated however

Rahul

Old 10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Monday 17 October 2011 16:13:36 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/17/2011 07:37 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >>
> >> Then, you aren't running the Fedora packaged version.
> >
> > That is true. But I run what I can get. Does Fedora have a packaged
> > version for Firefox 7.
> > The latest version in F14 repos is: firefox-3.6.23-1.fc14.i686
>
> I did post the answer in a link

And the answer from the link is no, Fedora 14 doesn't have a packaged version
of Firefox 7. You have to use the remi repo for that, which is a 3rd party
repo. So if you have F14, there is no such thing as
"Fedora packaged Firefox 7".

But what I would like to know (and Rahul's link doesn't explain) is *why* F14
doesn't have FF7? At this point F14 will be EOL'd soon, so it doesn't make
sense to update FF now, but it did make sense several months ago. Why wasn't
it done?

Best, :-)
Marko

Old 10-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/17/2011 09:11 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> But what I would like to know (and Rahul's link doesn't explain) is *why* F14
> doesn't have FF7? At this point F14 will be EOL'd soon, so it doesn't make
> sense to update FF now, but it did make sense several months ago. Why wasn't
> it done?

It is the version that gets extended security fixes

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Enterprise/Firefox/ExtendedSupport:Proposal

Rahul