Old 10-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Beartooth

Default cursor : weird disappearances

On at least two machines (my main PC, running F14 fully updated;
and my old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad T30 running F16 Beta on backup or
shell or whatever it's called) I've started seeing a really weird
behavior.

Every once in a while, completely unpredictably afaik, the cursor
suddenly disappears. I have it set to display its position when I hit
Ctrl; but it doesn't, until I wave the mouse around in huge sweeps. Once
I start doing that (and continuing to tap Ctrl every few seconds) it
eventually shows up somewhere at the outer edge of the screen.

I have an HP mouse at the PC (through a KVM switch), and a
Logitech mouse on the laptop.

What could be making it do that?? Is this a bug? A known bug?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 16:14:01 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth wrote:

> What could be making it do that?

My mouse (very rarely, but sometimes) will suddenly leap
to some totally random position, usually against the edge
of the screen where I can't see it. I have no idea if it
is hardware or software, but it happens so seldom I don't
worry about it too much.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Joao Daniel

On 10/15/2011 01:23 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 16:14:01 +0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth wrote:
>
>> What could be making it do that?
> My mouse (very rarely, but sometimes) will suddenly leap
> to some totally random position, usually against the edge
> of the screen where I can't see it. I have no idea if it
> is hardware or software, but it happens so seldom I don't
> worry about it too much.
Same here. I also have no idea why it happens. Is you mouse Microsoft?

Old 10-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:44:14 -0300
Joao Daniel wrote:

> Same here. I also have no idea why it happens. Is you mouse Microsoft?

Nope, I've got a Kensington expert mouse trackball.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 16:14 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> Every once in a while, completely unpredictably afaik, the
> cursor suddenly disappears. I have it set to display its position when
> I hit Ctrl; but it doesn't, until I wave the mouse around in huge
> sweeps. Once I start doing that (and continuing to tap Ctrl every few
> seconds) it eventually shows up somewhere at the outer edge of the
> screen.

I've seen this problem for many years, as you've described the problem,
and I'm configured the same way. Different mice, USB & PS/2, different
computers, different releases of Fedora.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 12:23 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> My mouse (very rarely, but sometimes) will suddenly leap
> to some totally random position, usually against the edge
> of the screen where I can't see it. I have no idea if it
> is hardware or software, but it happens so seldom I don't
> worry about it too much.

I've had the same. It was awful on my old computers with PS/2 mice, and
improved RADICALLY when I went to USB mice.

I have the same problem with my trackpad, even when I'm not using it.
Being close enough to it is enough to set it off. And despite having
options set to ignore clicks on the pad, it does that too.

I'll be typing, and suddenly the cursor will have been placed somewhere
else in the text, or it'll be whizzing between all the different
windows, like I'd spun the mouse wheel over the windows listed in the
task bar.

As in my other reply on this thread: Different mice, different
computers, different releases of Fedora. All have done the same thing.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Beartooth

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 06:18:13 +1030, Tim wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 16:14 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> Every once in a while, completely unpredictably afaik, the
>> cursor suddenly disappears. I have it set to display its position when
>> I hit Ctrl; but it doesn't, until I wave the mouse around in huge
>> sweeps. Once I start doing that (and continuing to tap Ctrl every few
>> seconds) it eventually shows up somewhere at the outer edge of the
>> screen.
>
> I've seen this problem for many years, as you've described the problem,
> and I'm configured the same way. Different mice, USB & PS/2, different
> computers, different releases of Fedora.

So either it's something in Fedora (probably something old), or
in Linux even more generally. Anybody know what other distros it shows up
in, if any?

I had another cursor incident yesterday evening, maybe related,
maybe not. I keep my cursor set to be as big as I can get it; when it is
on the desktop, it's mostly (not inside some apps) pretty conspicuous.
Yesterday, while the cursor was both conspicuous and moving, almost
everything in the display suddenly froze.

It didn't respond to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, nor even to Ctrl-Alt-
Delete. This machine doesn't have a reset button separate from the power
button; so I tried giving that one a quick punch. No joy there, either.

I have System Monitor 2.32.0 set to display two blocks on my
bottom panel, one for the processor and one for the network. Both
continued to show movement, and neither was anywhere near maxxed out. But
that big cursor just sat there and scoffed at me.

I finally held the power button till the whole machine shut down,
and left it overnight.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User