Old 10-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Tony Foster

Default Iphone failure to charge on FC14

Just recently when I connect my Iphone to my linux box to charge
I get a message on the Iphone
"Charging is not supported with this accessory"
I have connected both my Iphone and my wife's to various usb ports on
the off chance one of the port has a bad connector.
I have connected thumb drives and a USB portable hard drive to the unit
and both work fine. So probably not the basic hardware.
I have tried a cold boot on the Linux box.
I connect the Iphones to my microsloth laptop and they work fine.
I tried to reboot the Iphone and connecting it again and get the same
message.
This looks like a bug in the USB power negotiation process when
attaching an Iphone.

Anyone seen this before?

Currently running FC14 with all latest revisions.
kernal 2.6.35.14-96 fc14x86_64
Gnome 2.32.0
Pentium dual core 5300 2.6 Ghz
Intel mother board

--
Tony Foster

email = Tony_Foster@surewest.net

Remember Ignorance can be fixed
Stupid is forever

Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Tom Horsley

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:42:25 -0700
Tony Foster wrote:

> This looks like a bug in the USB power negotiation process when
> attaching an Iphone.

Not all USB ports support high current devices, hackery to
do that is a recent innovation, maybe your computer just
can't do it? Maybe f14 linux knows nothing about the recent
innovation? I found all my problems when away when I
got a powered USB hub and when through that :-).

Old 10-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Tony Foster

The Iphone charged just fine a month ago.
I have not used my computer to charge sinse then.
The computer mother board is only a year old and
and it supports 6 USB ports. I am only plugging in one item.

Also as mentioned it powers a USB external drive just fine.
My 6 year Laptop will charge the phone so I am more inclined to believe
this is a USB driver issue. A lot of the USB protocol is buried in the
driver.

tf