Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Bill Kuns

Default Can't access username (Solved)

From: Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com>
To: am497@CyberMesa.com, Community support for Fedora users
<users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Subject: Re: Can't access username
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:01:19 -0700

On 10/13/2011 09:42 AM, Bill Kuns wrote:
> I've installed Fedora 15 four times. The same thing happens.
>
> When I try to log on to username, I get a message:
>
> Could not update /home/username/.ICEauthority
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Possibly nothing. Check the ownership and permissions of your home
directory. "username") should own it and have rwx permissions:

[rick@prophead ~]$ ls -ld ~rick
drwx------ 102 rick rick 12288 Oct 10 18:30 /home/rick

If not, as root, change the permissions and delete the
~username/.ICEauthority file:

sudo chown username ~/username
sudo chmod u+rwx ~/username
sudo rm -f ~/username/.ICEauthority

Then log out. When you log in again as username, the file should be
recreated. This has been reported on Ubuntu and several other distros
and whatever caused it may have crept into Fedora somehow.

It appears to be something from an upstream package that Fedora also
uses.
- -
- Microsoft Windows: Proof that P.T. Barnum was right -