Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Reindl Harald

Default Can't access username

Am 13.10.2011 18:42, schrieb Bill Kuns:
> I've installed Fedora 15 four times. The same thing happens.
>
> When I try to log on to username, I get a message:
>
> Could not update /home/username/.ICEauthority
>
> What am I doing wrong?

who is the owner of this file?
chown username /home/username/.ICEauthority

Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
suvayu ali

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:42 PM, Bill Kuns <am497@cybermesa.com> wrote:
> I've installed Fedora 15 four times. *The same thing happens.
>
> When I try to log on to username, I get a message:
>
> * * * *Could not update /home/username/.ICEauthority
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Permissions problem? (check the uid/gid for the current account and
the uid/gid for the home directory)

SELinux labelling issue? (try restorecon ...)

These are just two possibilities of the top of the head, there could
be more obscure issues too.

--
Suvayu

Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/13/2011 09:42 AM, Bill Kuns wrote:
> I've installed Fedora 15 four times. The same thing happens.
>
> When I try to log on to username, I get a message:
>
> Could not update /home/username/.ICEauthority
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Possibly nothing. Check the ownership and permissions of your home
directory. "username") should own it and have rwx permissions:

[rick@prophead ~]$ ls -ld ~rick
drwx------ 102 rick rick 12288 Oct 10 18:30 /home/rick

If not, as root, change the permissions and delete the
~username/.ICEauthority file:

sudo chown username ~/username
sudo chmod u+rwx ~/username
sudo rm -f ~/username/.ICEauthority

Then log out. When you log in again as username, the file should be
recreated. This has been reported on Ubuntu and several other distros
and whatever caused it may have crept into Fedora somehow.

It appears to be something from an upstream package that Fedora also
uses.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 13.10.2011 20:01, schrieb Rick Stevens:
> If not, as root, change the permissions and delete the
> ~username/.ICEauthority file:
>
> sudo chown username ~/username
> sudo chmod u+rwx ~/username
> sudo rm -f ~/username/.ICEauthority

first: sudo is not enabled by default and if you are root not needed
second: doing this as root is a little strange

why?
~/username = /root/username
the only luck is that this path do not exist

WTF - do not work with ~ in context of different users/userhomes and
give always ABSOLUTE PATHS if you deal with chown/chmod/chgrp