Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Andre Robatino

Default double update : i686 & x86_64

Beartooth <beartooth <at> comcast.net> writes:

> Why am I getting both? Something to do with running XP in
> VirtualBox??
>
> ================================================== ====================
> Package Arch Version Repository Size
> ================================================== ====================
> Updating:
> orc i686 0.4.16-1.fc14 updates 152 k
> orc x86_64 0.4.16-1.fc14 updates 146 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> ================================================== ====================
> Upgrade 2 Package(s)

If you've installed 32-bit packages such as 32-bit Flash, Skype, or wine (which
pulls in 32-bit packages) one of those may pull in orc.i686. I'm running F15
x86_64 and have both orc.i686 and orc.x86_64 installed, don't know which 32-bit
software is pulling it in. You could run "grep orc /var/log/yum.log" to see when
it was installed and what else you installed around that time.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Andre Robatino

Andre Robatino <robatino <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:

> You could run "grep orc /var/log/yum.log" to see when
> it was installed and what else you installed around that time.

In my case, running "yum erase orc.i686" just to see what it wants to remove
shows that wine pulled it in.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 PM
"Errol Mangwiro "

Yup. Wine does that that's why I'm now sticking with qemu-kvm & vbox for my virtualisation/emulation needs. I hate having 32-bit dependencies in my 64-bit installation. I'd rather do without that program (which explains the skype-less & adobe flashless, until now, machine). And the size of your installation/dependencies just balloons once you start down the 32/64-bit road.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Beartooth

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:08:28 +0000, Errol Mangwiro wrote:

> Yup. Wine does that that's why I'm now sticking with qemu-kvm & vbox for
> my virtualisation/emulation needs. I hate having 32-bit dependencies in
> my 64-bit installation. I'd rather do without that program (which
> explains the skype-less & adobe flashless, until now, machine). And the
> size of your installation/dependencies just balloons once you start down
> the 32/64-bit road.

OK, I already have the main if not only apps that I used to use
Wine for (topo map software for GPSs), installed and running better under
XP in VirtualBox. And I can get along fine without skype and adobe.

But I do have a lot of data, especially waypoints, routes, and
trails, in my .wine. Is there a good way to salvage that data before I
scrub first Wine and then other 32-bit things?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Beartooth

Old 10-14-2011, 05:22 AM
"Errol Mangwiro "