Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM
"Ardhan Madras"

Default Disable yum update check for PackageKit

Hi All,

How to disable PackageKit's yum update that sometime
run in background?, I have very sloooooooooow and limited CDMA
internet connection. I feel disturbed by this that eat the
whole modem bandwidth and make my application has no
bandwidth portion. I'm using FC15.

Ardhan,

Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Ardhan Madras writes:

Hi All,

How to disable PackageKit's yum update that sometime
run in background?, I have very sloooooooooow and limited CDMA
internet connection. I feel disturbed by this that eat the
whole modem bandwidth and make my application has no
bandwidth portion. I'm using FC15.

Uninstall the yum-updatesd rpm.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:32 PM
"Ardhan Madras"

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately the package is not installed. To be more clear here the
process of PackageKit.

[root@sandybridge Downloads]# ps ax | grep yum
7185 ? SN 0:04 /usr/bin/python /usr/share/PackageKit/helpers/yum/yum

Any pointer how to disable this automatic background process?

For this time I create a bash script to regularly call ps, and the kill -9 it.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Richard Hughes

On 13 October 2011 12:51, Ardhan Madras <ajhwb@knac.com> wrote:
> * * * *How to disable PackageKit's yum update that sometime
> run in background?, I have very sloooooooooow and limited CDMA
> internet connection.

PackageKit shouldn't be doing background operations when on mobile
broadband, are you using NetworkManager to start the CDMA connection?

Richard

Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM
"Ardhan Madras"

Sorry, It's actually the router that has CDMA connection.
My FC15 box connected and using it as gateway. The router
connection got sloooow when PackageKit was running in the FC15.

I want to disable automatic PackageKit yum update check.

Ardhan

Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Frank Murphy

On 15/10/11 17:51, Ardhan Madras wrote:
> Sorry, It's actually the router that has CDMA connection.
> My FC15 box connected and using it as gateway. The router
> connection got sloooow when PackageKit was running in the FC15.
>
> I want to disable automatic PackageKit yum update check.
>
> Ardhan

If you don't want to fullt remove the pk-yum plugin,
just disable it by:
edit(you editor of choice) /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/refresh-packagekit.conf
enabled=0

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 10-16-2011, 01:56 PM
"Ardhan Madras"

Thats what I was looking for, thanks Frank.

Ardhan

> Sorry, It's actually the router that has CDMA connection.
> My FC15 box connected and using it as gateway. The router
> connection got sloooow when PackageKit was running in the FC15.
>
> I want to disable automatic PackageKit yum update check.
>
> Ardhan

If you don't want to fullt remove the pk-yum plugin,
just disable it by:
edit(you editor of choice) /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/refresh-packagekit.conf
enabled=0

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org