Old 11-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Lamar Owen

Default Yep, names like p4p1 are soooo much better than eth0 :-(

On Monday, October 17, 2011 11:39:29 PM Garry T. Williams wrote:
> On Monday, October 17, 2011 16:57:42 jdow wrote:
> > There is something wrong with ethp2p3? What KIND of device is easier
> > to fathom if it is part of the name, ya know.
>
> Tell Sun, er, Oracle that. What are hme0, qfe0, and eri0? :-)

:-)

Happy Meal Ethernet 0
QuadFastEthernet 0
Haven't seen an ERI in the wild yet, and haven't Googled it, so don't know that one.

The *BSD's also do this sort of thing.

I would love something more consistent, similar to the cisco naming (even though depending upon which BU the device is from, interfaces and slots can either start with 0 or start with 1, but that's a digression).

But PC hardware is so much more variable than cisco stuff is, and motherboards can have different lanes (for PCI-e) out of order relative to the slots, and server motherboards especially (like a SuperMicro P4DP6 to pull one off the top of my head) have multiple buses, so that the fifth slot is actually something like the third bus's second slot or similar, meaning you have to dig out the manual, and that's often of no help at all. Need the ability to 'blink LEDs' at times other than installation, IMO. (yes, you have this already in Fedora; install ethtool, and use ethtool -p $devname )

The current 'ethX' convention breaks in odd ways for different use cases. Especially when you replace a lightning-toasted NIC.

And I have personally seen PCI enumeration order change on seemingly a whim, both due to kernel updates (this was EL4, so not a kernel version upgrade) and due to BIOS updates. And I'm not just talking slot order on a bus, but bus order on the northbridge. (Serverworks chipset in one instance, Intel chipset in another.)

The fact of the matter is that consistent PC device enumeration is a hard problem, and people are working towards making this more consistent and better from the end-users' points of view. And I appreciate the effort, even with the bugs.

Windows has the same problem, just a different flavor, and I've hit that, too, with XP, Vista, Server 2003, 7, and Server 2008.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Tim

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 09:57 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> The fact of the matter is that consistent PC device enumeration is a
> hard problem, and people are working towards making this more
> consistent and better from the end-users' points of view. And I
> appreciate the effort, even with the bugs.

I can't recall seeing this mentioned, so here goes: Using the MAC, in
some way, *in* the device name. I don't mean associating eth0 with a
specific MAC, like we can do at the moment with hand configuration. I
mean the device name automatically containing something dependent on the
MAC. Obviously not the whole thing, but maybe some maths done on its
values, to get it down to just four or five digits (e.g. eth0 would be
eth2345).

That gives you a clearcut way to always get the same device name with
the same NIC (including replacing a NIC with a cloned MAC). And a way
to sort out which NIC is which device, in a multi-NIC box, if the NICs
are labelled.

Once again I'm reminded of how this was done on ye olde Amiga, where a
device name came from the device, itself (a ROM or firmware holding ID
data).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 02:45:03 +1030
Tim wrote:

> I can't recall seeing this mentioned, so here goes: Using the MAC, in
> some way, *in* the device name.

openSUSE used to do that, and dropped it (in fact, the NIC naming scheme
seemed to change every release for a while in openSUSE).

Personally, I thought the udev generated persistent-net file was
the best solution. If I wanted a more "human readable" name, I
could always edit the file, but at least the name never changed
once it made it into the rules. We've already seen names change
once with updates to the new software, and I'm sure they will
change again.