-   -   FSB overclocking ("Turbo33") (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/586843-fsb-overclocking-turbo33.html)

Michael Ekstrand 10-12-2011 06:40 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

I have an Asus laptop with their "Turbo33" technology. What this gives
me is a widget on my Windows desktop that has a Turbo33 on-off switch to
turn on faster speed.

Long story short, this tool/technology seems to just overclock the FSB
to bring the CPU from 1.3GHz to 1.7GHz.

Is there any tool that I can use to do this from inside Fedora? There
does not seem to be a BIOS knob for it, just the Windows control interface.

Thanks,
- Michael

suvayu ali 10-12-2011 06:48 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net> wrote:
> Long story short, this tool/technology seems to just overclock the FSB
> to bring the CPU from 1.3GHz to 1.7GHz.
>
> Is there any tool that I can use to do this from inside Fedora? *There
> does not seem to be a BIOS knob for it, just the Windows control interface.

Is this a fancy term for CPU scaling? If so, the kernel does that for
you as needed.

--
Suvayu

Michael Ekstrand 10-12-2011 07:09 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

On 10/12/2011 01:48 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 8:40 PM, Michael Ekstrand<michael@elehack.net> wrote:
>> Long story short, this tool/technology seems to just overclock the FSB
>> to bring the CPU from 1.3GHz to 1.7GHz.
>>
>> Is there any tool that I can use to do this from inside Fedora? There
>> does not seem to be a BIOS knob for it, just the Windows control interface.
>>

> Is this a fancy term for CPU scaling? If so, the kernel does that for
> you as needed.

No - this feature cranks up the maximum frequency of the processor.

- Michael

Joe Zeff 10-12-2011 07:25 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

On 10/12/2011 11:48 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Is this a fancy term for CPU scaling? If so, the kernel does that for
> you as needed

I got the impression that the OP wanted to know if there's a way to
control this from inside Fedora. I have no need for it myself, but just
out of curiosity, is there a way to turn it on and off, or is it
strictly controlled by the kernel?

suvayu ali 10-12-2011 07:28 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 10/12/2011 11:48 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Is this a fancy term for CPU scaling? If so, the kernel does that for
>> you as needed
>
> I got the impression that the OP wanted to know if there's a way to
> control this from inside Fedora. *I have no need for it myself, but just
> out of curiosity, is there a way to turn it on and off, or is it
> strictly controlled by the kernel?

I think the BIOS has options to turn CPU scaling off. However if its
on, AFAIK the kernel controls it.

--
Suvayu

Michael Cronenworth 10-12-2011 07:51 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

Joe Zeff wrote:
> I got the impression that the OP wanted to know if there's a way to
> control this from inside Fedora. I have no need for it myself, but just
> out of curiosity, is there a way to turn it on and off, or is it
> strictly controlled by the kernel?

CPU frequency scaling is a kernel module, but can be controlled through
user-space with the cpuspeed daemon or by echo'ing the /sys file system
configuration parameters.

Michael Cronenworth 10-12-2011 07:54 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

Michael Ekstrand wrote:
> Is there any tool that I can use to do this from inside Fedora? There
> does not seem to be a BIOS knob for it, just the Windows control interface.

AFAIK ASUS does not provide tools, nor specs, to be able to configure
this from Linux.

Shiv Manas 10-12-2011 11:28 PM

FSB overclocking ("Turbo33")

Is there any tool that I can use to do this from inside Fedora? *There

does not seem to be a BIOS knob for it, just the Windows control interface.

Thanks,

- Michael

It can be done using lfsb, but it depends on whether or not your PLL is supported. Also,*relevant*thread here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/linux-compatibility-software/430230-softfsb-ocing-4-linux-dev.html

@everyone else : This is *not* CPU Frequency scaling.

- Shiv