-   -   Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/586840-fedora-14-skype-headset.html)

Frank Elsner 10-12-2011 06:36 PM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

Hallo folks,

skype works perfect with my Logitech webcam and the integrated microphone
under Fedora 14.

But when I plug in a Logitech headset (earphone plug and microphone plug)
only the earphones work. The microphone will (incontrast to webcam/microphone)
not be detected and therefore not show up as an input device under sound preferences.

Any pointer towards a solution is welcome.

--Frank Elsner

Mike Chambers 10-13-2011 05:25 PM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 20:36 +0200, Frank Elsner wrote:
> Hallo folks,
>
> skype works perfect with my Logitech webcam and the integrated microphone
> under Fedora 14.
>
> But when I plug in a Logitech headset (earphone plug and microphone plug)
> only the earphones work. The microphone will (incontrast to webcam/microphone)
> not be detected and therefore not show up as an input device under sound preferences.

Maybe check sound configuration and maybe mic is muted or needs to be
turned up/on or something?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"The best town on Earth!"

Tim 10-14-2011 05:20 AM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

Frank Elsner:
>> But when I plug in a Logitech headset (earphone plug and microphone plug)
>> only the earphones work. The microphone will (incontrast to webcam/microphone)
>> not be detected and therefore not show up as an input device under sound preferences.

Mike Chambers:
> Maybe check sound configuration and maybe mic is muted or needs to be
> turned up/on or something?

Even a muted microphone would still appear as a choosable device under
their preferences.

I'd be looking at the output from dmesg before and after plugging in the
headset, to see what the system notices being plugged in. Probably,
some unknown hardware will be detected, showing just a product code
number, rather than the name of something that it knows how to deal
with. Post that, here.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

suvayu ali 10-14-2011 08:54 AM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I'd be looking at the output from dmesg before and after plugging in the
> headset, to see what the system notices being plugged in. *Probably,
> some unknown hardware will be detected, showing just a product code
> number, rather than the name of something that it knows how to deal
> with. *Post that, here.

Unless its a USB headset, I don't think that is true. AFAIK a
conventional microphone jack is treated as an extension of the default
sound card output.

--
Suvayu

Frank Elsner 10-14-2011 09:29 AM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:54:43 +0200 suvayu ali wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > I'd be looking at the output from dmesg before and after plugging in the
> > headset, to see what the system notices being plugged in. *Probably,
> > some unknown hardware will be detected, showing just a product code
> > number, rather than the name of something that it knows how to deal
> > with. *Post that, here.
>
> Unless its a USB headset, I don't think that is true. AFAIK a
> conventional microphone jack is treated as an extension of the default
> sound card output.

It's not USB. "sound card output"?

--Frank Elsner

Tim 10-14-2011 02:16 PM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 10:54 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
> Unless its a USB headset, I don't think that is true. AFAIK a
> conventional microphone jack is treated as an extension of the default
> sound card output.

Ah, I missed the bit where they said it was conventional microphone and
earphones. There are some cards which do detect that a microphone has
been plugged in, and into which socket (likewise with headphone
detection), but generally they're rather dumb about it.

For the dumb ones, you may have a choice of several microphone inputs
(e.g. front panel, rear panel, in-built) on your mixer, and you'd use
the mixer to select which inputs are used, and at what levels. If
you're having no luck with a particular input socket, try another. You
may be using the wrong one, or one that's not connected.

I'm not sure how you'd go about controlling that on the newer Fedora
releases. It used to be a gnome-volume-control program (that's "volume"
as in sound level, not disc volumes), or alsamixer (curses interface).
But the newer Fedoras have gone all pulseaudio, and I haven't played
with that as a front end for the input.

Frank Elsner 10-17-2011 05:38 PM

Fedora 14 / Skype / Headset

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:36:25 +0200 Frank Elsner wrote:

> Hallo folks,
>
> skype works perfect with my Logitech webcam and the integrated microphone
> under Fedora 14.
>
> But when I plug in a Logitech headset (earphone plug and microphone plug)
> only the earphones work. The microphone will (incontrast to webcam/microphone)
> not be detected and therefore not show up as an input device under sound preferences.
>
> Any pointer towards a solution is welcome.

I bought an adapter to connect the headset (3.5mm jacks) to USB. Works.

--Frank Elsner