Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Brian Mury

Default Linpsk audio -

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 10:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> A work-around for the non-functioning Linpsk was to install
> psk31lx from Ted at http://wa0eir.home.mchsi.com/
>
> Psk31lx installed easily and worked.

Somehow I missed your original message or I would have replied - sorry!

I'm a fan of fldigi: http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

Brian

Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 12/10/11 11:43, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 10:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> A work-around for the non-functioning Linpsk was to install
>> psk31lx from Ted at http://wa0eir.home.mchsi.com/
>>
>> Psk31lx installed easily and worked.
> Somehow I missed your original message or I would have replied - sorry!
>
> I'm a fan of fldigi: http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
>
> Brian

I've looked through the fldigi site a couple of times since
receiving your message and have never been able to understand
what it is they've created? Perhaps you can 'splain it to me in
terms I can understand. There's plenty of information on how to
install, etc. but nothing telling me what it is.

Right now I have psk31lx running in the receive mode it was easy
to install and it works well. Transmit is awaiting delivery of
some parts.

Thanks,

Bob

Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 13/10/11 19:30, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> On 12/10/11 11:43, Brian Mury wrote:
>> On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 10:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> A work-around for the non-functioning Linpsk was to install
>>> psk31lx from Ted at http://wa0eir.home.mchsi.com/
>>>
>>> Psk31lx installed easily and worked.
>> Somehow I missed your original message or I would have replied - sorry!
>>
>> I'm a fan of fldigi: http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
>>
>> Brian
>>

> I've looked through the fldigi site a couple of times since
> receiving your message and have never been able to understand
> what it is they've created? Perhaps you can 'splain it to me in
> terms I can understand. There's plenty of information on how to
> install, etc. but nothing telling me what it is.
>
> Right now I have psk31lx running in the receive mode it was easy
> to install and it works well. Transmit is awaiting delivery of
> some parts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

I don't know how I missed
http://www.southgatearc.org/news/march2009/fldigi.htm earlier
but it provides the explanation I was looking for. I will give
Fldigi a try.

Than you.

Bob

Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 12/10/11 11:43, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 10:29 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> A work-around for the non-functioning Linpsk was to install
>> psk31lx from Ted at http://wa0eir.home.mchsi.com/
>>
>> Psk31lx installed easily and worked.
> Somehow I missed your original message or I would have replied - sorry!
>
> I'm a fan of fldigi: http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html
>
> Brian

Fldigi is available via yum. That was not apparent to me until I
tried it this morning.

It runs "out of the box" and is decoding signals now as I type
so I would rate it as an easy install. Once more I can only test
the receive functions until I am able to interconnect things
properly. I expect it will work equally well. There are a number
of options!

The display is pretty and can be configured to suit my
requirements for white text on a black field. So far usage is
pretty much intuitive but I need to read whatever documentation
is available.

Thanks for the advice.

Bob

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Brian Mury

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 10:23 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Thanks for the advice.

No problem Bob! Looks like you answered your own questions before I saw
them. Post if you have more and I'll do my best to answer them.

Fldigi seems to be the most popular digimode program for Linux, BTW. It
supports quite a few modes other than just PSK31. You might want to give
some of them a try once you've got it working with PSK31.

Brian

Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Bob Goodwin

On 15/10/11 17:15, Brian Mury wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 10:23 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Thanks for the advice.
> No problem Bob! Looks like you answered your own questions before I saw
> them. Post if you have more and I'll do my best to answer them.
>
> Fldigi seems to be the most popular digimode program for Linux, BTW. It
> supports quite a few modes other than just PSK31. You might want to give
> some of them a try once you've got it working with PSK31.
>
> Brian

I'm waiting for a connector to arrive but I'm concerned about
getting a transmitter key signal. So far nothing I have done has
shown up in the serial port at DTR or RTS. I wonder if this
works for others?

I know vox will probably work but I wanted something simpler.

I haven't been able to find an appropriate mailing list either?
Only Google searches and that hasn't been much help.

Bob

Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Brian Mury

On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 21:20 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I'm waiting for a connector to arrive but I'm concerned about
> getting a transmitter key signal. So far nothing I have done has
> shown up in the serial port at DTR or RTS. I wonder if this
> works for others?

I don't use it and have never tried it. My rig supports PTT via CAT
command, so I have fldigi set to use PTT via Hamlib command. It should
work for you though.

Does the user account you are using have permission to use the serial
port?

How do you have fldigi configured in the Hardware PTT tab? And do you
have RigCAT or Hamlib enabled?

> I haven't been able to find an appropriate mailing list either?
> Only Google searches and that hasn't been much help.

That's for all of W1HKJ's software, not just fldigi.

Brian