Old 10-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Leonardo

Default SAS disks

Hello everyone,

Anyone have any issues using SAS harddisks (15k rpms) with Fedora or
Red Hat? i'm looking for assemble a server and i'm wondering if such
terrain is safe or if i should keep 10k rpms regular sata instead.

thanks in advance.

For instance, i'm looking at this machine:

http://www.dell.com/br/empresa/p/poweredge-t710/pd#TechSpec

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Scott Rouse

On Oct 11, 2011 9:08 PM, "Leonardo" <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

> Anyone have any issues using SAS harddisks (15k rpms) with Fedora or

> Red Hat? i'm looking for assemble a server and i'm wondering if such

> terrain is safe or if i should keep 10k rpms regular sata instead.

> thanks in advance.

> For instance, i'm looking at this machine:

> http://www.dell.com/br/empresa/p/poweredge-t710/pd#TechSpec

Never had a problem with SAS disks. We use them in servers all the time.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Leonardo

2011/10/11 Scott Rouse <grim76@grim76.net>:
>(..)
> Never had a problem with SAS disks. We use them in servers all the time.
>(..)

Ah, this is a good news, i was afraid with possible known and unresolved bug.

How do you boot this machine. My previous bare experience was with a
hp machine with a preconfigured sas disk used to boot the system. can
i use such approach too? put root on disk0? or even over raid0?

Thanks again in advance.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Scott Rouse

On Oct 11, 2011 9:35 PM, "Leonardo" <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/10/11 Scott Rouse <grim76@grim76.net>:

> >(..)

> > Never had a problem with SAS disks. We use them in servers all the time.

> >(..)

> Ah, this is a good news, i was afraid with possible known and unresolved bug.

> How do you boot this machine. My previous bare experience was with a

> hp machine with a preconfigured sas disk used to boot the system. can

> i use such approach too? put root on disk0? or even over raid0?

> Thanks again in advance.

Configure them however you need to.* The configuration you use depends on your needs.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Leonardo

2011/10/11 Scott Rouse <grim76@grim76.net>:
>(...)
>
> Configure them however you need to.* The configuration you use depends on
> your needs.
>(...)

Thank you, i'll choose the SAS disks, you and google are saying that's
a good option, ;-)

Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/11/2011 06:44 PM, Leonardo wrote:
> 2011/10/11 Scott Rouse <grim76@grim76.net>:
>> (...)
>>
>> Configure them however you need to. The configuration you use depends on
>> your needs.
>> (...)
>
> Thank you, i'll choose the SAS disks, you and google are saying that's
> a good option, ;-)

Speaking as someone who has run a CDN in the past and one that currently
runs an origin services company, 15K SAS drives work just peachy in the
server environment. SATA also works but is slower, of course. Fastest
would be fiberchannel or SCSI drives, but their cost is usually
prohibitive.

At this time, I don't recommend 2.5" drives or ones >2TB capacity in a
data center environment. The 2.5" drives haven't proven their heat
dissipation characteristics to my satisfaction yet, and the 3TB drives
are just a bit dense and again, haven't proven their reliability yet.

Just my opinions, but I do have about 35 years in the business and
about 25 years running various data centers.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> said:
> Speaking as someone who has run a CDN in the past and one that currently
> runs an origin services company, 15K SAS drives work just peachy in the
> server environment. SATA also works but is slower, of course. Fastest
> would be fiberchannel or SCSI drives, but their cost is usually
> prohibitive.

SCSI is dead; SAS is the next-generation SCSI interface (SAS stands for
Serial Attached SCSI).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>