Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 AM
Bruno Wolff III

Default removing packages

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 20:16:07 -0700,
JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, lo and behold, yum decided that other packages
> not in the list would also be removed:

You checked dependencies on the package names. There can also be
dependencies on files or libraries somewhat independent of the
packages themselves. I think using repoquery with the --all-deps and
--what-requires options will do what you were trying to do.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Michael Schwendt

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:18:50 -0500, BWI (Bruno) wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 20:16:07 -0700,
> JD wrote:
> >
> > Well, lo and behold, yum decided that other packages
> > not in the list would also be removed:
>
> You checked dependencies on the package names. There can also be
> dependencies on files or libraries somewhat independent of the
> packages themselves. I think using repoquery with the --all-deps and
> --what-requires options will do what you were trying to do.

With repoquery, --all-deps has been made the default long ago.

With just RPM, one can check for local dependencies by using
options --erase --test, and that will fail if anything else still
requires the specified packages.

--
Fedora release 16 (Verne) - Linux 3.1.0-0.rc9.git0.0.fc16.x86_64
loadavg: 0.12 0.39 0.21

Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 PM
JD

On 10/11/2011 01:56 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:18:50 -0500, BWI (Bruno) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 20:16:07 -0700,
>> JD wrote:
>>> Well, lo and behold, yum decided that other packages
>>> not in the list would also be removed:
>> You checked dependencies on the package names. There can also be
>> dependencies on files or libraries somewhat independent of the
>> packages themselves. I think using repoquery with the --all-deps and
>> --what-requires options will do what you were trying to do.
> With repoquery, --all-deps has been made the default long ago.
>
> With just RPM, one can check for local dependencies by using
> options --erase --test, and that will fail if anything else still
> requires the specified packages.

Thanx.
Actually, I was unaware of this util until Bruno mentioned it.