-   -   No, I don't want to maximize my window (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/585975-no-i-dont-want-maximize-my-window.html)

Sam Varshavchik 10-10-2011 11:31 PM

No, I don't want to maximize my window

In my opinion, one of the most annoying, obnoxious, and irritating behaviors
in Gnome 3 is its in-your-face maximization of the window I'm dragging, when
I move it partly off to the side of the screen. When I'm dragging the
window, and the pointer reaches the edge of the screen, Gnome decides to
maximize the whole thing. It appears to think that I'm trying to tile the
window against one of the screen's edges, so why not maximize it?

That never made any sense to me, and I always thought that this was a stupid
thing to do. But one thing that always puzzled me, and I couldn't figure it
out, is how someone could've even gotten this kind of an idea in the first
place. To me, it just came completely out of the left field. Yes, when I'm
dragging a window partially off screen, that's really exactly what I'm
trying to accomplish: I want to maximize it. Huh?

I often move windows partially off the screen when I want to recover some
real estate for something else. So now, instead of staying, inobtrusively,
off to the side, the damn thing takes over the entire display. It's exactly
the opposite of what I wanted to accomplish. Instead of gaining empty screen
space, the window I just dragged just takes it over.

I now have to retrain myself to drop the window before my mouse pointer goes
all the way to the edge. It's annoying. It's irritating. And it bugs the
hell out of me.

But I was always curious about the thought process that went into this.
Where? Why? How? It just seems so naturally wrong, but someone must've
thought that this is what the user really wanted to do, and I was always
curious to figure out how that thought process developed. And I'm wondering
whether anyone else was wondering the same thing.

Because I just figured out exactly what happened here. Which left field this
bizarre behaviour came from.

My new employer gave me a work laptop, loaded with Windows 7.

This is what Windows 7 does. This user behavior is new in Windows 7.

So, naturally, Gnome must ape Windows, and imitate every stupid thing that
Windows does.

Sigh.

Larry Brower 10-10-2011 11:40 PM

No, I don't want to maximize my window

Frantisek Hanzlik 10-10-2011 11:46 PM

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> So, naturally, Gnome must ape Windows, and imitate every stupid thing that Windows does.
>
> Sigh.

Exactly. And there is, unluckily, more stupid things which now
appears in Linux. It seems as some developers meditate as
"windows do it == users want it".
Or there on Linux now are working only full-time windows developers,
which in their spare-time drop little of their prudence to Linux
software?

Franta

Julius Smith 10-11-2011 01:30 AM

No, I don't want to maximize my window

You can turn off window tiling using gconf-editor
(desktop->gnome->shell->windows) - jos

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Frantisek Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> So, naturally, Gnome must ape Windows, and imitate every stupid thing that Windows does.
>>
>> Sigh.
>
> Exactly. And there is, unluckily, more stupid things which now
> appears in Linux. It seems as some developers meditate as
> "windows do it == users want it".
> Or there on Linux now are working only full-time windows developers,
> which in their spare-time drop little of their prudence to Linux
> software?
>
> Franta

"Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything" -- Leonard Susskind

Dokuro 10-11-2011 02:31 PM

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:01 PM, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, one of the most annoying, obnoxious, and irritating behaviors
> in Gnome 3 is its in-your-face maximization of the window I'm dragging, when
> I move it partly off to the side of the screen. When I'm dragging the
> window, and the pointer reaches the edge of the screen, Gnome decides to
> maximize the whole thing. It appears to think that I'm trying to tile the
> window against one of the screen's edges, so why not maximize it?
>
> That never made any sense to me, and I always thought that this was a stupid
> thing to do. But one thing that always puzzled me, and I couldn't figure it
> out, is how someone could've even gotten this kind of an idea in the first
> place. To me, it just came completely out of the left field. Yes, when I'm
> dragging a window partially off screen, that's really exactly what I'm
> trying to accomplish: I want to maximize it. Huh?
>
> I often move windows partially off the screen when I want to recover some
> real estate for something else. So now, instead of staying, inobtrusively,
> off to the side, the damn thing takes over the entire display. It's exactly
> the opposite of what I wanted to accomplish. Instead of gaining empty screen
> space, the window I just dragged just takes it over.
>
> I now have to retrain myself to drop the window before my mouse pointer goes
> all the way to the edge. It's annoying. It's irritating. And it bugs the
> hell out of me.
>
> But I was always curious about the thought process that went into this.
> Where? Why? How? It just seems so naturally wrong, but someone must've
> thought that this is what the user really wanted to do, and I was always
> curious to figure out how that thought process developed. And I'm wondering
> whether anyone else was wondering the same thing.
>
> Because I just figured out exactly what happened here. Which left field this
> bizarre behaviour came from.
>
> My new employer gave me a work laptop, loaded with Windows 7.
>
> This is what Windows 7 does. This user behavior is new in Windows 7.
>
> So, naturally, Gnome must ape Windows, and imitate every stupid thing that
> Windows does.
>
> Sigh.

I like this behavior, is like having a dual head!.
And I saw it first on Linux Mint 11, with Gnome 2...
so the windows rant is just plain stupid

It seems you do not move the windows with alt...

OS: http://fedoraproject.org/es/ - http://www.linuxmint.com/
Graficos: http://www.blender.org - http://www.gimp.org
Musica: http://www.jamendo.com - http://www.openoctave.org/
Recetas: http://www.recetas-sencillas.com/ -
Politica: http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/ - http://www.gnu.org/

Sam Varshavchik 10-11-2011 10:15 PM

Dokuro writes:

I like this behavior, is like having a dual head!.
And I saw it first on Linux Mint 11, with Gnome 2...
so the windows rant is just plain stupid

It seems you do not move the windows with alt...

If you want this new UI behavior, that's fine, and I could even deal with it
being the default desktop configuration, requiring me to turn it off
somewhere.

But just forcibly enabling it, by default, and giving me no visible
configuration setting to turn it off, anywhere, and forcing me to root
around with gconf-editor – this is just rude.

Or, perhaps all the missing UI configuration settings: this one, focus
autoraise, and others – perhaps there just wasn't enough time to add the UI
for these settings, and Gnome 3 replaced Gnome 2 before it was fully cooked.

Whatever the case may be, I just hope that the “we know best, so here's the
UI and you're going to like it, because we do, and you won't have any
alternatives” meme will not survive.

Joe Wulf 10-12-2011 02:04 PM

No, I don't want to maximize my window

I second what Sam has said.
GNOME3 has generated some backlash with its way of working---and not been clearly/fully documented such that the preponderance of users can 'get it'.
R,-Joe

"Daniel B. Thurman" 10-12-2011 03:32 PM

On 10/11/2011 03:15 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Dokuro writes:
>
>> I like this behavior, is like having a dual head!.
>> And I saw it first on Linux Mint 11, with Gnome 2...
>> so the windows rant is just plain stupid
>>
>> It seems you do not move the windows with alt...
>
> If you want this new UI behavior, that's fine, and I could even deal
> with it being the default desktop configuration, requiring me to turn
> it off somewhere.
>
> But just forcibly enabling it, by default, and giving me no visible
> configuration setting to turn it off, anywhere, and forcing me to root
> around with gconf-editor – this is just rude.
>
> Or, perhaps all the missing UI configuration settings: this one, focus
> autoraise, and others – perhaps there just wasn't enough time to add
> the UI for these settings, and Gnome 3 replaced Gnome 2 before it was
> fully cooked.
>
> Whatever the case may be, I just hope that the “we know best, so
> here's the UI and you're going to like it, because we do, and you
> won't have any alternatives” meme will not survive.

+1 w/Sam

Alessandro Brezzi 10-12-2011 03:35 PM

[...]

Hi,
in my opinion, Larry is right : the question must be addressed to
the Gnome dev team. But, as long time Fedora / RedHat user, I must
agree with Sam : Fedora *MUST* be filled by default with all the
gnome-shell* / gconf* stuff.

To much time spent looking around to customize my desktop

*
--
Alessandro Brezzi

Genes MailLists 10-12-2011 03:57 PM

On 10/12/2011 11:35 AM, Alessandro Brezzi wrote:

> Hi,
> in my opinion, Larry is right : the question must be addressed to the
> Gnome dev team. But, as long time Fedora / RedHat user, I must agree
> with Sam : Fedora *MUST* be filled by default with all the gnome-shell*
> / gconf* stuff.
> To much time spent looking around to customize my desktop

As many have said and done - if it hurts don't use G-3.

Use KDE or XFCE instead, which offer much configurability upon you ...
:-)

G-3 (along with KDE, XFCE, LXDE etc) is an alternative to Gnome-2 not
an update. Choose the alternative which best suits your needs. G-2 is no
longer available.

gene