Old 10-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Joao Daniel

Default Things I cant understand

Folks,

I'm trying to install Snort. So, the first step is update libpcap. Look
what I have done.
1)

yum erase libpcap (to unistall old libpcap)
tar -zxfv libpcap
cd libpcap
./configure --libdir=/lib/ --bindir=/bin/
make
make install

2)

yum install ./daq.rpm

At this point I got a messagen telling that libpcap is not installed!!!

What is happening ? Did I made a mistake? Better: Why yum cant realize
that lipcap is already installed ?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Marvin Kosmal

I'm trying to install Snort. So, the first step is update libpcap. Look

what I have done.

1)

yum erase libpcap (to unistall old libpcap)

tar -zxfv libpcap

cd libpcap

./configure --libdir=/lib/ --bindir=/bin/

make

make install

2)

yum install ./daq.rpm

At this point I got a messagen telling that libpcap is not installed!!!

What is happening ? Did I made a mistake? Better: Why yum cant realize

that lipcap is already installed ?

Hi

Need more background information

What are you installing it on??

What version kernel are you using?

Best

Marvin

Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/10/2011 01:12 PM, Joao Daniel wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to install Snort. So, the first step is update libpcap. Look
> what I have done.
> 1)
>
> yum erase libpcap (to unistall old libpcap)
> tar -zxfv libpcap
> cd libpcap
> ./configure --libdir=/lib/ --bindir=/bin/
> make
> make install
>
> 2)
>
> yum install ./daq.rpm
>
> At this point I got a messagen telling that libpcap is not installed!!!
>
> What is happening ? Did I made a mistake? Better: Why yum cant realize
> that lipcap is already installed ?

We need to know what you're trying to install this on (F14, F15, 32-bit,
64-bit, etc.). Snort wants libpcap in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64,
not /lib.

You should have just done a "yum install libpcap-devel" to get libpcap.
There's no need to install from a tarball--libpcap has been in Fedora's
repos for a LONG time.

Yeah, I know. "NOW you tell me!" :-)

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/10/2011 01:41 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
> You should have just done a "yum install libpcap-devel" to get libpcap.
> There's no need to install from a tarball--libpcap has been in Fedora's
> repos for a LONG time.

And, AIUI, yum only checks its own database to see what's installed,
which is why it didn't know about it being there.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/10/2011 02:21 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 01:41 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> You should have just done a "yum install libpcap-devel" to get libpcap.
>> There's no need to install from a tarball--libpcap has been in Fedora's
>> repos for a LONG time.
>
> And, AIUI, yum only checks its own database to see what's installed,
> which is why it didn't know about it being there.

Yes it does, but that wasn't the issue. There are other things that
most RPMs (devel RPMs that is) do, such as update pkg-info databases,
cause ldconfig updates and other goodies that a lot of "make install"s
from tarballs don't do. The pkg-config bit is important...that database
is what many "./configure" scripts look at to see if the needed library
is there.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Joao Daniel

I'm trying to install in F14, 64bits. Snorts need libpcap
version(libpcap.1.0) >= 1. As far as I know Yum repositories do not have
it. Just libpcap version < 1. (libpcap.0.84)

I also have tried a simply ./configure* (without anything) then a make
and make install but again no results.

*I guess it would put the files on /usr/lib

Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Kevin Martin

On 10/11/2011 12:48 PM, Joao Daniel wrote:
> I'm trying to install in F14, 64bits. Snorts need libpcap
> version(libpcap.1.0) >= 1. As far as I know Yum repositories do not have
> it. Just libpcap version < 1. (libpcap.0.84)
>
> I also have tried a simply ./configure* (without anything) then a make
> and make install but again no results.
>
> *I guess it would put the files on /usr/lib
>
> On 10/10/2011 05:41 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 01:12 PM, Joao Daniel wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install Snort. So, the first step is update libpcap. Look
>>> what I have done.
>>> 1)
>>>
>>> yum erase libpcap (to unistall old libpcap)
>>> tar -zxfv libpcap
>>> cd libpcap
>>> ./configure --libdir=/lib/ --bindir=/bin/
>>> make
>>> make install
>>>
>>> 2)
>>>
>>> yum install ./daq.rpm
>>>
>>> At this point I got a messagen telling that libpcap is not installed!!!
>>>
>>> What is happening ? Did I made a mistake? Better: Why yum cant realize
>>> that lipcap is already installed ?
>> We need to know what you're trying to install this on (F14, F15, 32-bit,
>> 64-bit, etc.). Snort wants libpcap in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64,
>> not /lib.
>>
>> You should have just done a "yum install libpcap-devel" to get libpcap.
>> There's no need to install from a tarball--libpcap has been in Fedora's
>> repos for a LONG time.
>>
>> Yeah, I know. "NOW you tell me!" :-)
>> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting ricks@nerd.com -
>> - AIM/Skype: therps2 ICQ: 22643734 Yahoo: origrps2 -
>> - -
>> - UNIX is actually quite user friendly. The problem is that it's -
>> - just very picky of who its friends are! -
Are you getting the version of snort from the yum repo or from snort.org directly? If it's from snort.org (which, based on the rpm
name, I'm guessing it is) there is a fairly concise howto as to how to install the latest version of snort for F14 (
http://www.snort.org/assets/154/Snort_2.9.0.1_FC14_Base.pdf ). And, FWIW, the latest x64 version of libpcap for F14 appears to be
1.1.1 so it appears that if you do a yum install libpcap you should have a version of libpcap that is new enough to handle the
version of snort that is in the F14 repos (and the version that is on snort.org, which, from reading the install guide, you have to
compile and install, not install from rpm).

Kevin

Old 10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/11/2011 11:53 AM, Kevin Martin wrote:

> On 10/11/2011 12:48 PM, Joao Daniel wrote:
>> I'm trying to install in F14, 64bits. Snorts need libpcap
>> version(libpcap.1.0) >= 1. As far as I know Yum repositories do not have
>> it. Just libpcap version < 1. (libpcap.0.84)
>>
>> I also have tried a simply ./configure* (without anything) then a make
>> and make install but again no results.
>>
>> *I guess it would put the files on /usr/lib

>>> We need to know what you're trying to install this on (F14, F15, 32-bit,
>>> 64-bit, etc.). Snort wants libpcap in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64,
>>> not /lib.
>>>
>>> You should have just done a "yum install libpcap-devel" to get libpcap.
>>> There's no need to install from a tarball--libpcap has been in Fedora's
>>> repos for a LONG time.
>>>
>>> Yeah, I know. "NOW you tell me!" :-)
> Are you getting the version of snort from the yum repo or from snort.org directly? If it's from snort.org (which, based on the rpm
> name, I'm guessing it is) there is a fairly concise howto as to how to install the latest version of snort for F14 (
> http://www.snort.org/assets/154/Snort_2.9.0.1_FC14_Base.pdf ). And, FWIW, the latest x64 version of libpcap for F14 appears to be
> 1.1.1 so it appears that if you do a yum install libpcap you should have a version of libpcap that is new enough to handle the
> version of snort that is in the F14 repos (and the version that is on snort.org, which, from reading the install guide, you have to
> compile and install, not install from rpm).

Actually:

[root@prophead ~]# rpm -qa | grep libpcap | grep 86_64
libpcap-1.1.1-3.fc14.x86_64
libpcap-devel-1.1.1-3.fc14.x86_64