Old 10-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default XFCE does not mount an audio CD

When I am in XFCE audio CDs do not mount and play. On the same machine
the audio CDs play in Gnome 3.

What could be wrong in XFCE and how can it be fixed?

All this is in F15.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:10:37 -0500
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> When I am in XFCE audio CDs do not mount and play. On the same machine
> the audio CDs play in Gnome 3.
>
> What could be wrong in XFCE and how can it be fixed?
>
> All this is in F15.

Audio cd's don't usually mount at all. You should be able to put them
in and run your media playing application and it should see the cd and
let you play it. There will not be anything on the desktop however.

kevin

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Rick Stevens

On 10/10/2011 01:10 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> When I am in XFCE audio CDs do not mount and play. On the same machine
> the audio CDs play in Gnome 3.
>
> What could be wrong in XFCE and how can it be fixed?
>
> All this is in F15.

Applications Menu-->
Preferences-->
Removable Drives and Media-->
Multimedia tab

Set up your preferences there. Also make sure you have installed the
gnome-media-apps RPM and:

Applications Menu-->
Preferences-->
Multimedia Systems Selector

and make sure the various things are set up in there correctly.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/10/2011 01:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Audio cd's don't usually mount at all. You should be able to put them
> in and run your media playing application and it should see the cd and
> let you play it. There will not be anything on the desktop however.

Yes. We went through this same discussion several months ago when I had
a similar difficulty. (BTW, it went away again as suddenly and
inexplicably as it came.) Now, I get an icon on the desktop labeled
"Audio Disc" with, among other things, an option to mount the volume.
It doesn't auto-play because I have that disabled, and I can't use
software to eject it unless I mount it, but aside from that, it works
fine. Sound Juicer can't read the tracks unless I mount it, and doesn't
find the track info, but I think that's a problem with the specific CD.

Yes, in the strictest sense audio CDs don't really mount, but the system
(or maybe the DE) does something with them that allows you to use them
as though they were, and it generally calls it mounting. For most of
us, it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck so we
see no reason not to call it a duck. There was a time when I'd have
agreed that we shouldn't call it "mounting," but I've learned[1] over
the years that most people don't want to know about the messy details
that some of us[2] love so much, they just want it to work.

[1]I hate to keep throwing out all that tech support experience I
have[3], but this time it's relevant.
[2]Including me, I'll admit.
[3]For those coming in late, 7.5 years at an ISP, plus several months at
another company where I demonstrated why I don't normally do hardware
support.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 AM
charles zeitler

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:.
> us, it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck so we
> see no reason not to call it a duck.

i disagree. it doesn't walk like a duck, or swim like a duck. you
might be right about the quacking. ;>)

charles zeitler
--

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 14:40 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 15:10:37 -0500
> Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > When I am in XFCE audio CDs do not mount and play. On the same machine
> > the audio CDs play in Gnome 3.
> >
> > What could be wrong in XFCE and how can it be fixed?
> >
> > All this is in F15.
>
> Audio cd's don't usually mount at all. You should be able to put them
> in and run your media playing application and it should see the cd and
> let you play it. There will not be anything on the desktop however.
>
> kevin

You are right. I should not use the word mount. But I don't see the
audio CD on the desktop and the CD does not play.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 14:19 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 01:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Audio cd's don't usually mount at all. You should be able to put them
> > in and run your media playing application and it should see the cd and
> > let you play it. There will not be anything on the desktop however.
>
> Yes. We went through this same discussion several months ago when I had
> a similar difficulty. (BTW, it went away again as suddenly and
> inexplicably as it came.) Now, I get an icon on the desktop labeled
> "Audio Disc" with, among other things, an option to mount the volume.
> It doesn't auto-play because I have that disabled, and I can't use
> software to eject it unless I mount it, but aside from that, it works
> fine. Sound Juicer can't read the tracks unless I mount it, and doesn't
> find the track info, but I think that's a problem with the specific CD.
>
> Yes, in the strictest sense audio CDs don't really mount, but the system
> (or maybe the DE) does something with them that allows you to use them
> as though they were, and it generally calls it mounting. For most of
> us, it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck so we
> see no reason not to call it a duck. There was a time when I'd have
> agreed that we shouldn't call it "mounting," but I've learned[1] over
> the years that most people don't want to know about the messy details
> that some of us[2] love so much, they just want it to work.
>
> [1]I hate to keep throwing out all that tech support experience I
> have[3], but this time it's relevant.
> [2]Including me, I'll admit.
> [3]For those coming in late, 7.5 years at an ISP, plus several months at
> another company where I demonstrated why I don't normally do hardware
> support.

Again, it does not mount which it should not. I don't see the cd icon
and it does not play.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 13:49 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 01:10 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > When I am in XFCE audio CDs do not mount and play. On the same machine
> > the audio CDs play in Gnome 3.
> >
> > What could be wrong in XFCE and how can it be fixed?
> >
> > All this is in F15.
>
> Applications Menu-->
> Preferences-->
> Removable Drives and Media-->
> Multimedia tab
>
> Set up your preferences there. Also make sure you have installed the
> gnome-media-apps RPM and:
>
> Applications Menu-->
> Preferences-->
> Multimedia Systems Selector
>
> and make sure the various things are set up in there correctly.
Well I tried your first suggestion in:

Applications Menu-->
Preferences-->
Removable Drives and Media-->

However there is no Multimedia Systems Selector under Preferences on my
machine.

In any case the process does not work for me. No CD icon appears and the
CD does not play Again Gnome3 plays Audio CDs without any problem.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 16:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 13:49 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On 10/10/2011 01:10 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > When I am in XFCE audio CDs do not mount and play. On the same
> machine
> > > the audio CDs play in Gnome 3.
> > >
> > > What could be wrong in XFCE and how can it be fixed?
> > >
> > > All this is in F15.
> >
> > Applications Menu-->
> > Preferences-->
> > Removable Drives and Media-->
> > Multimedia tab
> >
> > Set up your preferences there. Also make sure you have installed
> the
> > gnome-media-apps RPM

The above worked once and stopped again. What is the real secret for
getting this to work?
I can mend the break of day, heal a broken heart, and provide temporary
relief to nymphomaniacs. -- Larry Lee

Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-10-14 at 08:47 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> The above worked once and stopped again. What is the real secret for
> getting this to work?

With the same disc? Some discs are difficult to use on computers,
thanks to various non-standard things done to CDDA to thwart copying.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.