Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
sean darcy

Default F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

Did a preupgrade to F15. That left a lot of dupes - 1187 of them. Ran
package-cleanup --cleandupes.

That didn't work. Got endless:

error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 918 Header V3 RSA/SHA256
Signature, key ID 97A1071f: BAD

What is this?

Do I need new public keys? If so, how to install?

sean

Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
sean darcy

On 10/10/2011 11:26 AM, sean darcy wrote:
> Did a preupgrade to F15. That left a lot of dupes - 1187 of them. Ran
> package-cleanup --cleandupes.
>
> That didn't work. Got endless:
>
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 918 Header V3 RSA/SHA256
> Signature, key ID 97A1071f: BAD
>
> What is this?
>
> Do I need new public keys? If so, how to install?
>
> sean

BTW, tried rebuilddb without success:

rpm --rebuilddb

Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
linux guy

I had the same problem, for some reason, on one of my machines.

On that machine I upgraded from the full install DVD instead of doing a yum preupgrade.** Actually, I did the later, but it failed.

Anyhow, I believe I ran a yum check all > list.txt and then edited the file and then used it as input to yum itself.

It was a terrible, terrible process.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 PM
JD

On 10/10/2011 08:30 AM, sean darcy wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 11:26 AM, sean darcy wrote:
>> Did a preupgrade to F15. That left a lot of dupes - 1187 of them. Ran
>> package-cleanup --cleandupes.
>>
>> That didn't work. Got endless:
>>
>> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 918 Header V3 RSA/SHA256
>> Signature, key ID 97A1071f: BAD
>>
>> What is this?
>>
>> Do I need new public keys? If so, how to install?
>>
>> sean
>>
> BTW, tried rebuilddb without success:
>
> rpm --rebuilddb
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 918 Header V3 RSA/SHA256
> Signature, key ID 97a1071f: BAD

Very interesting (to me).
Had similar problem after I upgraded F14 to F16.
The database got corrupted and rebuilddb would
fail. Gave up and restored back to F14 from backup.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
JD

On 10/10/2011 08:49 AM, linux guy wrote:
> I had the same problem, for some reason, on one of my machines.
>
> On that machine I upgraded from the full install DVD instead of doing
> a yum preupgrade. Actually, I did the later, but it failed.
>
> Anyhow, I believe I ran a yum check all > list.txt and then edited the
> file and then used it as input to yum itself.
>
> It was a terrible, terrible process.
I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea
that upgrading using yum should be scripted by
an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog
through this mud

Old 10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
linux guy

On 10/10/11, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Very interesting (to me).
> Had similar problem after I upgraded F14 to F16.
> The database got corrupted and rebuilddb would
> fail. Gave up and restored back to F14 from backup.

To be clear, in my situation the database did not fail. By
duplicates, I meant that I had all the usual (and correct) F15
packages, but also a bunch of the same packages as F14 packages.
Thus the duplication was having the same package in F15 and F14.

The reason this caused a problem, not that there was anything good or
acceptable about it, was dependencies. Most of the F14 were
dependent on some non existent (in F15) package and thus failed dep
check during any yum proceedure

Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/10/2011 09:48 PM, JD wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 08:49 AM, linux guy wrote:
>> I had the same problem, for some reason, on one of my machines.
>>
>> On that machine I upgraded from the full install DVD instead of doing
>> a yum preupgrade. Actually, I did the later, but it failed.
>>
>> Anyhow, I believe I ran a yum check all > list.txt and then edited the
>> file and then used it as input to yum itself.
>>
>> It was a terrible, terrible process.
> I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea
> that upgrading using yum should be scripted by
> an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog
> through this mud

It might be that Preupgrade has bugs. Reporting them and getting it
fixed would be the first choice rather than replace it with a script
which will likely have bugs as well. It is not realistic to believe
that you can write a script to handle upgrades and not have bugs.
Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least.

Rahul

Old 10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
linux guy

I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea

that upgrading using yum should be scripted by

an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog

through this mud

a) My issue was not caused by a yum preupgrade.** It happened by running the complete install DVD over an existing installation, ie upgrading it.

I've done many upgrades via yum.* I didn't actually use yum preupgrade here because my laptop wouldn't reboot with the new yum kernel.

As far as I am concerned, yum preupgrade rocks !

Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
JD

On 10/10/2011 09:28 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 09:48 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 10/10/2011 08:49 AM, linux guy wrote:
>>> I had the same problem, for some reason, on one of my machines.
>>>
>>> On that machine I upgraded from the full install DVD instead of doing
>>> a yum preupgrade. Actually, I did the later, but it failed.
>>>
>>> Anyhow, I believe I ran a yum check all> list.txt and then edited the
>>> file and then used it as input to yum itself.
>>>
>>> It was a terrible, terrible process.
>> I wonder if this thread plays well into the idea
>> that upgrading using yum should be scripted by
>> an expert so that us mortals do not have to slog
>> through this mud
> It might be that Preupgrade has bugs. Reporting them and getting it
> fixed would be the first choice rather than replace it with a script
> which will likely have bugs as well. It is not realistic to believe
> that you can write a script to handle upgrades and not have bugs.
> Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least.
>
> Rahul
Well, in that case, what's the difference between
what you say (re: it would have bugs), and all the
rest of the software, from the kernel to the shell?
Have they all not had bugs, and continue to have
bugs today?
And I agree, it is a complex process that newbs and
non-techies will always fail at accomplishing.
I tried the yum upgrade from f14 to f16, and it ran
against so many conflicts (which I had wrongly assumed that
yum would be able to resolve and delete the old f14 conflicting
package and replace it with the corresponding f16 package).
Then I restored back to f14 and tried to upgrade via DVD.
upon reboot, I was unable to log in via the gnome login
screen. I do not recall the full details of why it failed - but
the failure message was about something did not work.
So, I logged in via the console terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and
tried to run yum update. Again, unresolvable conflicts.

So, I am still hoping an expert in yum and upgrade will
be able to give us such a script.

Regards,

JD

Old 10-10-2011, 05:29 PM
sean darcy

On 10/10/2011 11:30 AM, sean darcy wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 11:26 AM, sean darcy wrote:
>> Did a preupgrade to F15. That left a lot of dupes - 1187 of them. Ran
>> package-cleanup --cleandupes.
>>
>> That didn't work. Got endless:
>>
>> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 918 Header V3 RSA/SHA256
>> Signature, key ID 97A1071f: BAD
>>
>> What is this?
>>
>> Do I need new public keys? If so, how to install?
>>
>> sean
>>
> BTW, tried rebuilddb without success:
>
> rpm --rebuilddb
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# 918 Header V3 RSA/SHA256
> Signature, key ID 97a1071f: BAD

I ran rebuilddb again. That worked. Then package-cleanup --cleandupes
did its magic.

So that was fixed.

sean