Old 10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
"valent.turkovic@gmail.com"

Default How to properly eject / remove hotswappable sata drive?

Hi,
I found this article:
http://blog.shadypixel.com/safely-removing-external-drives-in-linux/

It explains how properly to unmount, eject and remove sata hdd drives
from linux machines.
The issue is that I can't find scsiadd tool for Fedora.

What is the correct and proper way to unmount and remove hotswappable
sata drives with fedora tools?

Cheers,
Valent.

--
follow me - www.twitter.com/valentt & http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com
linux, anime, spirituality, wireless, scuba, linuxmce smart home, zwave

Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 10/10/2011 03:32:33 AM, valent.turkovic@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I found this article:
> http://blog.shadypixel.com/safely-removing-external-drives-in-linux/
>
> It explains how properly to unmount, eject and remove sata hdd drives
> from linux machines.
> The issue is that I can't find scsiadd tool for Fedora.
>
> What is the correct and proper way to unmount and remove hotswappable
> sata drives with fedora tools?
>
> Cheers,
> Valent.

You will have to build it from source. What appears to be the primary
site is down, but you can find it here:
http://fossies.org/linux/misc/scsiadd-1.97.tar.gz/

Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM
"valent.turkovic@gmail.com"

> You will have to build it from source. What appears to be the primary
> site is down, but you can find it here:
> http://fossies.org/linux/misc/scsiadd-1.97.tar.gz/

Is scsiadd really necessary ?

I tried using umount then eject but I get this error:
eject: device "/dev/sdb" doesn't have a removable or hotpluggable flag

Aren't all sata drives removable and hotpluggable?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Emmett Culley

On 10/10/2011 12:24 PM, valent.turkovic@gmail.com wrote:
>> You will have to build it from source. What appears to be the primary
>> site is down, but you can find it here:
>> http://fossies.org/linux/misc/scsiadd-1.97.tar.gz/
>
> Is scsiadd really necessary ?
>
> I tried using umount then eject but I get this error:
> eject: device "/dev/sdb" doesn't have a removable or hotpluggable flag
>
> Aren't all sata drives removable and hotpluggable?

For non raid drives all I ever have to do is umount the drives partitons. Once that is successful the drive can be removed. However, if you have smartctl running, it will start to complain until you put the drive back in. Or you could restart smartctl with the drive removed.

With raid drives I user mdadm to first fail the partitions on the drive to be remove/replaced, if they haven't failed already. (Use cat /proc/mdstat to see current status of all raid drives.)

Then use mdadm to remove those partitions from the raid drive. Then the drive can be removed/replaced.

Emmett

Old 10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Tom Horsley

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:24:28 +0200
valent.turkovic@gmail.com wrote:

> Aren't all sata drives removable and hotpluggable?

Nope, just esata drives (don't know exactly what the
difference is, but there is a difference of some kind).

Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 21:24 +0200, valent.turkovic@gmail.com wrote:
> Aren't all sata drives removable and hotpluggable?

No. Both the drive and the host interface have to support it. You
should be able to expect ESATA (external SATA) connected drives and
hosts to support it, because external drives need hotplug support. You
should expect internal ones not to, and consider it a bonus if they do.

How do you tell ESATA apart from SATA? Well, for one thing, there's
different plugs. The ESATA plug is slightly more robust, as it needs to
be, to survive being plugged and unplugged, a lot. Unfortunately, I
don't think it's robust enough.

As far as properly unmounting drives go. In this day and age, you
shouldn't have to go through some other utility. You should be able to
click on a drive's desktop icon and unmount/eject it from there. Also,
if a drive has buttons, you should be able to press something on the
drive to initiate a disconnect. If not, the designer is a cretin,
because users expect to be able to simply connect and disconnect things,
without having to go through some procedure.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.