Old 10-09-2011, 04:20 PM
Frank Murphy

Default rkhunter daily cron

rkhunter is run with cronjob daily.

Have checked:
/etc/cron.daily/rkhunter

but it's run with a script
not the usual crontab * ** .setup.

Looked at
http://rkhunter.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rkhunter/rkhunter/files/FAQ

Should I just replace the script with my own cronjob times?
as per some of the examples.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM
John Horne

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 17:20 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> rkhunter is run with cronjob daily.
>
> Have checked:
> /etc/cron.daily/rkhunter
>
> but it's run with a script
> not the usual crontab * ** .setup.
>
> Looked at
> http://rkhunter.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/rkhunter/rkhunter/files/FAQ
>
> Should I just replace the script with my own cronjob times?
> as per some of the examples.

Hi,

If you installed the rkhunter RPM package (either via yum or by
downloading it) then I would just use what is supplied with the package.
The supplied cronjob is fine, why change it? The fact that it is a
script in cron.daily is no problem.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287 Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001

Old 10-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Frank Murphy

On 09/10/11 21:11, John Horne wrote:
<snipped>

>> Should I just replace the script with my own cronjob times?
>> as per some of the examples.
>>
> Hi,
>
> If you installed the rkhunter RPM package (either via yum or by
> downloading it) then I would just use what is supplied with the package.
> The supplied cronjob is fine, why change it? The fact that it is a
> script in cron.daily is no problem.

If I knew what time in x.00 ir ran,
I would leave it alone.
But I havn't figured what time cron.daily runs.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Tim Evans

On 10/09/2011 05:07 PM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 09/10/11 21:11, John Horne wrote:

> If I knew what time in x.00 ir ran,
> I would leave it alone.
> But I havn't figured what time cron.daily runs.

[root@harrier etc]# cat /etc/anacrontab
# /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron

# See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
# the maximal random delay added to the base delay of the jobs
RANDOM_DELAY=45
# the jobs will be started during the following hours only
START_HOURS_RANGE=3-22

#period in days delay in minutes job-identifier command
1 5 cron.daily nice run-parts /etc/cron.daily
7 25 cron.weekly nice run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
@monthly 45 cron.monthly nice run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 PM
John Horne

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 22:07 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 09/10/11 21:11, John Horne wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> >> Should I just replace the script with my own cronjob times?
> >> as per some of the examples.
> >>
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you installed the rkhunter RPM package (either via yum or by
> > downloading it) then I would just use what is supplied with the package.
> > The supplied cronjob is fine, why change it? The fact that it is a
> > script in cron.daily is no problem.
> >

> If I knew what time in x.00 ir ran,
> I would leave it alone.
> But I havn't figured what time cron.daily runs.

Take a look at /etc/anacrontab and the man pages for crond, anacron and
anacrontab. Basically, at least as far as I am aware, anacron does not
necessarily start jobs at a particular time like cron, but will start
them within a specified time period.

John.