Old 10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Ian Malone

Default Changing UID/GID. Was Upgrading to F16 Beta

On 7 October 2011 19:31, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 10/07/2011 02:17 AM, JD wrote:
>> Thanx.
>> A good point.
>> I wish the upgrade process would
>> actually prompt the user for performing
>> such steps.
>
> I'm replying to this twice, and changing the subject here because I
> didn't want to (completely) hijack the thread. *What I'd like to ask is,
> how important is it to change your UID/GID for F16 and what would happen
> if you just left everything the way it was? *I doubt that I'm the only
> person wondering this, and I think we'd all be better off if we knew
> just what risks we'd be running if we decided not to bother.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/1000SystemAccounts
"Because /etc/login.defs is %config(noreplace), upgrades will retain
the boundary value 500, and nothing should break."
I read this as saying if upgrading you'll be fine. If reinstalling and
retaining 'home' you can either set the boundary back to 500 or update
UIDs in home.

--
imalone