Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Beartooth

Default What spins are most minimal?

It had to happen; and the question isn't really an oxymoron,
though maybe I should have asked what is smallest.

I've been happily running Omega Linux 14 on my little old ASUS
701 for some time, and doing updates. Today I finally got a result saying
"Errno 28] No space left on device."

<sigh> Do I have to go try Puppy Linux again? Or is there another
spin of Fedora even leaner than Omega?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-08-2011, 07:59 PM
charles zeitler

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> * * * *It had to happen; and the question isn't really an oxymoron,
> though maybe I should have asked what is smallest.
>

> * * * *<sigh> Do I have to go try Puppy Linux again? Or is there another
> spin of Fedora even leaner than Omega?

all the official desktop spins fit
on a cd; otoh, have you tried a 'customized' install from the
'official' DVD, that is, ruthlessly
deselecting all the packages you
won't need?

> --
> Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
> I have precious (very precious!) little idea where up is.

charles zeitler
--

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 10/09/2011 12:00 AM, Beartooth wrote:

> <sigh> Do I have to go try Puppy Linux again? Or is there another
> spin of Fedora even leaner than Omega?

You can do a minimal install if you use the standard Fedora DVD image
and install just what you want on top of that.

Rahul

Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM
suvayu ali

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> * * * *I've been happily running Omega Linux 14 on my little old ASUS
> 701 for some time, and doing updates. Today I finally got a result saying
> "Errno 28] No space left on device."

Have you tried cleaning the yum cache?

# yum clean cache

--
Suvayu

Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Beartooth

On Sat, 08 Oct 2011 14:59:43 -0500, charles zeitler wrote:
[....]
> all the official desktop spins fit
> on a cd; otoh, have you tried a 'customized' install from the 'official'
> DVD, that is, ruthlessly
> deselecting all the packages you
> won't need?

I do that on every fresh install.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Beartooth

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 01:54:25 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
[....]
> Have you tried cleaning the yum cache?
>
> # yum clean cache

I hadn't, and just did, thanks! But yum update still tells me no
space left on device.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-09-2011, 04:53 PM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 01:54:25 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
> * * * *[....]
>> Have you tried cleaning the yum cache?
>>
>> # yum clean cache
>
> * * * *I hadn't, and just did, thanks! But yum update still tells me no
> space left on device.

Have you tried to estimate the disk space usage pattern on your file
system? Something like this should give you a fair idea:

# du -hs /*

--
Suvayu

Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Beartooth

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:53:12 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:

> du -hs /*

That gives me six-digit numbers in /home, /lib, and /var, but a
seven-digit number in /usr.

Baobab tells me I'm using 3.2 GB of 3.7, with 1.9 GB or 69.2% in /
usr. 53.4% (1.0 GB) is in /usr/share, and 28%(280.8 MB) in /usr/share/
locale,with 32.2% (334.1 MB) in /usr/share/icons

So those last two look like candidates for decimation to me ...

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM
suvayu ali

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 18:53:12 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:
>
>> du -hs /*
>
> * * * *That gives me six-digit numbers in /home, /lib, and /var, but a
> seven-digit number in /usr.

What do you mean by 6 and 7 digit numbers? It should return disk usage
in human readable numbers (as in 10M for 10 Megabytes, 2G for 2
Gigabytes and so on). To drill down a specific directory just change
the /* to something like /usr/* or of course you can always use gui
apps like baobab. :-p

> * * * *Baobab tells me I'm using 3.2 GB of 3.7, with 1.9 GB or 69.2% in /
> usr. 53.4% (1.0 GB) is in /usr/share, and 28%(280.8 MB) in /usr/share/
> locale,with 32.2% (334.1 MB) in /usr/share/icons
>
> * * * *So those last two look like candidates for decimation to me ...

Yes multi-language support is often the biggest disk hog. Removing
multiple language support for large applications like LibreOffice
could be something you might want to try.

GL

--
Suvayu