-   -   vi ? howto show cursor position (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/585162-vi-howto-show-cursor-position.html)

Hiisi 10-08-2011 06:02 PM

On 7 October 2011 18:01, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In previous fedora releases vi would display the cursor position as "row
> number" "character position" in the bottom right of the display. *In
> f14's release of vi this is no longer true.
>
> I've looked through the command reference and don't see any way to
> restore that behavior.
>
> Is this something lost from the compiled distribution or is there some
> *:set* method that will turn it back on and, if so, would somebody share
> the magic formula?
>
> TIA,
> Mike Wright
> --

I thought Vim is installed by default. Do you have it installed? From
my f14 machine:
rpm -qa | grep vim
vim-enhanced-7.3.315-1.fc14.x86_64
vim-minimal-7.3.315-1.fc14.x86_64
vim-filesystem-7.3.315-1.fc14.x86_64
vim-common-7.3.315-1.fc14.x86_64
HTH
--
Hiisi.
Spandex is a privilege, not a right.

John Horne 10-08-2011 06:32 PM

vi ? howto show cursor position

On 7 October 2011 18:01, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In previous fedora releases vi would display the cursor position as "row
> number" "character position" in the bottom right of the display. In
> f14's release of vi this is no longer true.
>
> I've looked through the command reference and don't see any way to
> restore that behavior.
>
> Is this something lost from the compiled distribution or is there some
> *:set* method that will turn it back on and, if so, would somebody share
> the magic formula?

You need the 'vim-enhanced' package installed, ':set ruler' will then
work. Your PATH should then find '/usr/bin/vim' in preference to
'/bin/vi'.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287 Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001

John Horne 10-08-2011 06:39 PM

On Sat, 2011-10-08 at 19:32 +0100, John Horne wrote:
> On 7 October 2011 18:01, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > In previous fedora releases vi would display the cursor position as "row
> > number" "character position" in the bottom right of the display. In
> > f14's release of vi this is no longer true.
> >
> > I've looked through the command reference and don't see any way to
> > restore that behavior.
> >
> > Is this something lost from the compiled distribution or is there some
> > *:set* method that will turn it back on and, if so, would somebody share
> > the magic formula?
> >
> You need the 'vim-enhanced' package installed, ':set ruler' will then
> work. Your PATH should then find '/usr/bin/vim' in preference to
> '/bin/vi'.

I should have clarified that by saying that vim-enhanced also
installs /etc/profile.d/vim.sh which sets up the alias for 'vi=vim'.

John.

Mike Wright 10-08-2011 06:59 PM

On 10/08/2011 11:32 AM, John Horne wrote:
> On 7 October 2011 18:01, Mike Wright<mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In previous fedora releases vi would display the cursor position as "row
>> number" "character position" in the bottom right of the display. In
>> f14's release of vi this is no longer true.
>>
>> I've looked through the command reference and don't see any way to
>> restore that behavior.
>>
>> Is this something lost from the compiled distribution or is there some
>> *:set* method that will turn it back on and, if so, would somebody share
>> the magic formula?
>>
> You need the 'vim-enhanced' package installed, ':set ruler' will then
> work. Your PATH should then find '/usr/bin/vim' in preference to
> '/bin/vi'.

@Hiisi, John,

Thanks, that was it. Apparently the base install only provides vim-minimal.