-   -   Yum update from live media?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/584372-yum-update-live-media.html)

Beartooth 10-06-2011 05:49 PM

Yum update from live media??

I have an F14 PC on which I'm currently running F15/xfce from a
live medium. Having had too little coffee, I tried (as root) telling it
"yum update."

It did it, or was about to. It got all the way to its "Is this
all right" question -- whereupon it was going to install fifteen things
and update four hundred-odd.

Would it have gone all the way? Would I then have an F15/xfce
machine, as if I had done preupgrade, with all my data still present? And
would that have been able to run preupgrade and get me to F16 when F16 is
released??

The machine in question is pretty well backed up; so I'm willing
to try the experiment, IF the knowledgeable think the odds are good, or
it would produce useful knowledge, or both.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Richard Shaw 10-06-2011 06:19 PM

Yum update from live media??

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> * * * *I have an F14 PC on which I'm currently running F15/xfce from a
> live medium. Having had too little coffee, I tried (as root) telling it
> "yum update."
>
> * * * *It did it, or was about to. It got all the way to its "Is this
> all right" question -- whereupon it was going to install fifteen things
> and update four hundred-odd.
>
> * * * *Would it have gone all the way? Would I then have an F15/xfce
> machine, as if I had done preupgrade, with all my data still present? And
> would that have been able to run preupgrade and get me to F16 when F16 is
> released??

If you didn't mount your F14 partition and chroot into it, it would
only update the F15 live session in memory and would be lost on
shutdown unless you added a persistent overlay when you setup your
live image (you didn't mention if it was live cd or live USB based).

> * * * *The machine in question is pretty well backed up; so I'm willing
> to try the experiment, IF the knowledgeable think the odds are good, or
> it would produce useful knowledge, or both.

Seeing as (with the above assumptions) all the updates will be lost on
shutdown, probably not worth it.

Richard