Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Default Java crashes in Mozilla Firefox

Hi all,
I downloaded the latest Firefox, and the latest Java as well. But now FF
crashes when trying to start Java Plugin. My internet banking logon
application is a good example, but it also crashes when trying to check
if Java is correctly installed form the Java homepage (Oracle).
I Tried to go back to my previous Firefox (FF 3), but to no avail.
Has any of you encountered this problem, and managed to find a fix?
So far I am unsuccessful. I have browsed the net and found many
references to this problem, but no clue to a fix. So I hope some of you
guys may have something.

Regards
PA

Old 10-06-2011, 08:36 AM
fedora

Hi Per
have you tried to use the IcedTea-Web Plugin?

suomi

Old 10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Hi suomi,
No, I have not. Do you have any experience with that one?
I am also uncertain about which of libjavaplugin_oji.so
and libnpjp2.so is the correct plugin to use. Some info tells me that
the latter one is the one to use, but I have not found any definite
directions.

PA

Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Ian Malone

On 6 October 2011 09:26, Per Anton Rønning <pa-ronn@online.no> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I downloaded the latest Firefox, and the latest Java as well. But now FF
> * * crashes when trying to start Java Plugin. My internet banking logon
> application is a good example, but it also crashes when trying to check
> if Java is correctly installed form the Java homepage (Oracle).
> I Tried to go back to my previous Firefox (FF 3), but to no avail.
> Has any of you encountered this problem, and managed to find a fix?
> So far I am unsuccessful. I have browsed the net and found many
> references to this problem, but no clue to a fix. So I hope some of you
> guys may have something.

Hi,

I'll look up my settings for icedtea this evening if no-one else has
done it by then, libnpjp2 is the plugin for newer versions of firefox.
Information that would help:
1. What version of Fedora you're running.
2. What architecture you're on (x86/ x86_64), whether Firefox is 32bit, 64bit
3. What version Java you're using and how it was installed.
4. Whether you're using the 'alternatives' framework (you may have run
these commands if you installed a different Java from openjdk via
yum).
5. How you 'downloaded the latest firefox': if your previous version
was FF3 then you're not on a current Fedora, which means I guess you
downloaded Firefox from the Mozilla website and untarred (? do they
offer it as an rpm?) it somewhere rather than through yum.

--
imalone

Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Per Anton Rønning

Ian Malone wrote:
> On 6 October 2011 09:26, Per Anton Rønning <pa-ronn@online.no> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I downloaded the latest Firefox, and the latest Java as well. But now FF
>> crashes when trying to start Java Plugin. My internet banking logon
>> application is a good example, but it also crashes when trying to check
>> if Java is correctly installed form the Java homepage (Oracle).
>> I Tried to go back to my previous Firefox (FF 3), but to no avail.
>> Has any of you encountered this problem, and managed to find a fix?
>> So far I am unsuccessful. I have browsed the net and found many
>> references to this problem, but no clue to a fix. So I hope some of you
>> guys may have something.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'll look up my settings for icedtea this evening if no-one else has
> done it by then, libnpjp2 is the plugin for newer versions of firefox.
> Information that would help:
> 1. What version of Fedora you're running.
> 2. What architecture you're on (x86/ x86_64), whether Firefox is 32bit, 64bit
> 3. What version Java you're using and how it was installed.
> 4. Whether you're using the 'alternatives' framework (you may have run
> these commands if you installed a different Java from openjdk via
> yum).
> 5. How you 'downloaded the latest firefox': if your previous version
> was FF3 then you're not on a current Fedora, which means I guess you
> downloaded Firefox from the Mozilla website and untarred (? do they
> offer it as an rpm?) it somewhere rather than through yum.

Hi Ian
1. I run Fedora 9. But by browsing I have discovered the same problem
pertains to Fedora 13.
2. x86 (32 bit FF)
3. jre1.6.0_27 (rpm)
4. No altrernatives framework (at least not chosen by myself)
5. From the Firefox website, firefox-6.0.2.tar.bz2.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Heinz Diehl

On 06.10.2011, Per Anton Rønning wrote:

> I downloaded the latest Firefox, and the latest Java as well. But now FF
> crashes when trying to start Java Plugin. My internet banking logon
> application is a good example, but it also crashes when trying to check
> if Java is correctly installed form the Java homepage (Oracle).

Works for me.

[htd@wildsau ~]$ rpm -qa | egrep 'java|firefox'
java_cup-0.11a-6.fc15.noarch
firefox-7.0.1-1.fc15.x86_64
tzdata-java-2011i-1.fc15.noarch
java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0-35.fc15.x86_64
java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0-59.1.10.3.fc15.x86_64

> I Tried to go back to my previous Firefox (FF 3), but to no avail.

FF3 is rather old, have you considered to upgrade?

> So far I am unsuccessful. I have browsed the net and found many
> references to this problem, but no clue to a fix. So I hope some of you
> guys may have something.

It's quite possible that what you encounter is a compatibility problem.
Du burde virkelig vurdere å oppgradere, om det er mulig for deg.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Per Anton Rønning

Deepak Bhole wrote:
> Is there a reason why you can't upgrade to a newer Fedora version?
> Fedora 9 has been long unsupported, and there has been tremendous
> progress on the IcedTea plug-in since then.
>
> Cheers,
> Deepak

There is no particular reason, except the work involved. I have to
rescue all my emails (I'm using Seamonkey as my mail client which must
be reinstalled as well), and I have to locate where Firefox is hiding my
bookmarks. I've been looking for those, but I have not been succesful so
far. I spend as little time as possible on such system management tasks.
Also I have to get hold of Fedora 13 (?) - could it be installed from a
memory stick? Since I am running F9 I guess I cannot upgrade, I have to
install from bottom up, so I have to back up everything I do not want to
lose. You may call me lazy, which is not far from the truth.
Silly enough, this has made me postpone the inevitable.

Regards
PA

Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Per Anton Rønning

Deepak Bhole wrote:
> * Per Anton Rønning <pa-ronn@online.no> [2011-10-06 05:12]:
>> Hi suomi,
>> No, I have not. Do you have any experience with that one?
>
> Hi Per,
>
> Can you please try with the IcedTea-Web plug-in and let us know if it
> works? Installation is simple. First remove libnpjp2.so out of the way
> and then run as root:
>
> 1. yum install icedtea-web

I tried this, but it crashed:
[root@localhost java]# yum install icedtea-web
Loaded plugins: priorities, refresh-packagekit
http://dl.atrpms.net/f9-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
atrpms. Please verify its path and try again

Regards
PA

Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM
John Pilkington

On 09/10/11 14:04, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
> Deepak Bhole wrote:
>> * Per Anton Rønning<pa-ronn@online.no> [2011-10-06 05:12]:
>>> Hi suomi,
>>> No, I have not. Do you have any experience with that one?
>>
>> Hi Per,
>>
>> Can you please try with the IcedTea-Web plug-in and let us know if it
>> works? Installation is simple. First remove libnpjp2.so out of the way
>> and then run as root:
>>
>> 1. yum install icedtea-web
>
> I tried this, but it crashed:
> [root@localhost java]# yum install icedtea-web
> Loaded plugins: priorities, refresh-packagekit
> http://dl.atrpms.net/f9-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
> atrpms. Please verify its path and try again
>
> Regards
> PA

Axel's repo doesn't have rpms for versions of Fedora earlier than f12,
and f12 and f13 have gone eol and aren't being updated. There is stuff
for RHel3 and later, and src packages, but I haven't checked what.

http://dl.atrpms.net/

John P

Old 10-09-2011, 02:23 PM
John Pilkington

On 09/10/11 14:33, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 09/10/11 14:04, Per Anton Rønning wrote:
>> Deepak Bhole wrote:
>>> * Per Anton Rønning<pa-ronn@online.no> [2011-10-06 05:12]:
>>>
>>> Hi Per,
>>>
>>> Can you please try with the IcedTea-Web plug-in and let us know if it
>>> works? Installation is simple. First remove libnpjp2.so out of the way
>>> and then run as root:
>>>
>>> 1. yum install icedtea-web
>>
>> I tried this, but it crashed:
>> [root@localhost java]# yum install icedtea-web
>> Loaded plugins: priorities, refresh-packagekit
>> http://dl.atrpms.net/f9-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
>> 14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>> Trying other mirror.
>> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
>> atrpms. Please verify its path and try again
>>
>> Regards
>> PA
>
> Axel's repo doesn't have rpms for versions of Fedora earlier than f12,
> and f12 and f13 have gone eol and aren't being updated. There is stuff
> for RHel3 and later, and src packages, but I haven't checked what.
>
> http://dl.atrpms.net/
>
> John P

Anyway I don't see icedtea rpms from any of my usual repos in f14, but
Firefox > Tools > Add-ons > Plugins shows I have the f14 version; maybe
Get-Addons will find it for f9 ???

John P