Old 10-06-2011, 02:29 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

Default OT: Changing MSDOS attributes from Linux?

In the past days, we have a virus going around that readonly and
hidden attributes on files on students flashes in other labs.
They send the students to me for help, and I can kill the virus from
linux and remove the lnk files it puts on the flash, but linux sees all
the files fine, but in Windows, the files are still hidden.

I then have to open the file in Windows, and go to DOS and use
the attrib command to clear things.
attrib -r -h -s /S /D

Is there a Linux command that can change the DOS attributes on
flash devices with FAT and NTFS filesystems? mattrib does not
seem to work?

Thanks.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 11286819.773693 | EINSTEIN 6657791.399851
ROSETTA 3738829.581515 | ABC 8496799.382981

Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Michael D. Setzer II
<mikes@kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> Is there a Linux command that can change the DOS attributes on
> flash devices with FAT and NTFS filesystems? mattrib does not
> seem to work?

mattrib only works on FAT filesystems. You can change NTFS file
attributes using the same tools used to change Linux extended file
attributes, as described here:
http://b.andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/extend-attr.html#ntfsattributes

-T.C.