Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
"antonio.montagnani@alice.it"

Default no way to connect to new wi-fi nets

after latest updates I suddenly realized that I cannot connetc to any new net
that is found in the nearby.

This night I went for the first time to a
friend's home,I got a list of more tha 30 nets, but I didn't succed to connect
to any of them: old nets (that were already connected in the past) are working
fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this trouble.

Tnx

Antonio

Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Leonardo

Experienced it too

Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
antonio montagnani

Leonardo ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 05/10/2011 20:45:
> Experienced it too
>
> On Oct 5, 2011 3:40 PM, "antonio.montagnani@alice.it
> <mailto:antonio.montagnani@alice.it>" <antonio.montagnani@alice.it
> <mailto:antonio.montagnani@alice.it>> wrote:
> > after latest updates I suddenly realized that I cannot connetc to any
> new net
> > that is found in the nearby.
> >
> > This night I went for the first time to a
> > friend's home,I got a list of more tha 30 nets, but I didn't succed
> to connect
> > to any of them: old nets (that were already connected in the past)
> are working
> > fine.
> >
> > Is anybody else experiencing this trouble.
> >
> > Tnx
> >
> > Antonio
> > --

using the packages from updates-testing (NetworkManager), my system is
back workung fine

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com
http://www.studiodacolpaloschi.it

Wed Oct 5 23:30:01 2011
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 21:59:08 +0200
From: =?UTF-8?B?SXJlbmV1c3ogU3pjemXFm25pYWs=?=
<irek.szczesniak@gmail.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: IP address depending on the MAC

On 03.10.2011 01:36, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> Could you elaborate on why you can't use a DHCP server? I ask this
> because you can set up dnsmasq to assign a fixed IP address to a client
> based on its hostname or MAC address, and to give clients an infinite
> lease. Therefore it offers a convenient way to allocate effectively
> static IP addresses from a central location.

The computers are in a university laboratory, where students often
unplug the lan cable. Then they plug the cable again after some time,
and unplug again.

The problem with this plugging and unplugging is that when the
dhclient doesn't receive a lease in time, it randomly picks an address
and stays with it even then the cable is plugged later. With this
random address I can't connect to the computer remotely. And so the
idea of a static address came to my mind. But now I think I should
look into the configuration of dhclient to resolve the problem.

--
Ireneusz (Irek) Szczesniak
http://www.irkos.org

Old 10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Sam Varshavchik

antonio.montagnani@alice.it writes:

after latest updates I suddenly realized that I cannot connetc to any new
net

that is found in the nearby.

This night I went for the first time to a
friend's home,I got a list of more tha 30 nets, but I didn't succed to
connect
to any of them: old nets (that were already connected in the past) are
working

fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this trouble.

This might be the same thing I bitched about yesterday – NetworkManager
suffered brain damage, and doesn't know how to ask you for the password.

After making the connection attempt, go into Network Connections. In the
wireless tab, find an entry named for the access point, and in the security
tab enter the access point's password.

Then you should be able to connect.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:22 AM
antonio montagnani

Sam Varshavchik ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on
06/10/2011 00:56:
> antonio.montagnani@alice.it writes:
>
>> after latest updates I suddenly realized that I cannot connetc to any
>> new net
>> that is found in the nearby.
>>
>> This night I went for the first time to a
>> friend's home,I got a list of more tha 30 nets, but I didn't succed to
>> connect
>> to any of them: old nets (that were already connected in the past) are
>> working
>> fine.
>>
>> Is anybody else experiencing this trouble.
>
> This might be the same thing I bitched about yesterday – NetworkManager
> suffered brain damage, and doesn't know how to ask you for the password.
>
> After making the connection attempt, go into Network Connections. In the
> wireless tab, find an entry named for the access point, and in the
> security tab enter the access point's password.
>
> Then you should be able to connect.

upgrading tolatest packages in updates-testing makes NetworkManager
works fine again.

Antonio